[Grammar] sentence - Introducing a film.

Status
Not open for further replies.

saloom2

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
does this sentence sound natural to native speakers or not? If not, will you please tweak it?

Have you ever watched a film you could not be eager to pause it, or made you watch it again? I have already watched one, known as [blaah blaah blaah] written by [Blaah Blaah Blaah].

Thanks in advance.;-)

tedtmc

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Have you ever watched a film which you could not stop watching and wanted to watch it again?
I have watched such a film - xxxx directed by xxxxx.

not a teacher/native speaker.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Does this sentence sound natural to native speakers or not? If not, will you please tweak it?

Have you ever watched a film you [STRIKE]could not be eager to[/STRIKE] were reluctant to pause, [STRIKE]it,[/STRIKE] or made you want to watch it again? I have [STRIKE]already[/STRIKE] watched/seen one - [STRIKE]known as[/STRIKE] [blah blah blah] written by [Blah Blah Blah].

Thanks in advance.;-)

See above for my suggestions.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
What do you mean by not being eager to pause?

For me, a good movie makes you want to pause - if for instance you need to take the dog out or fix a snack.

A bad movie, you aren't so worried that you might miss a few minutes of the action.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I took it to mean a movie so good that you are completely gripped by it, unwilling to pause the film even for a snack or a toilet break. You are so desperate to see what happens next, you can't bring yourself to stop it. If a film were that good, I certainly wouldn't take the dog out for a walk in the middle of it!

With a bad movie, I would probably pause it quite happily to go and do something else. I might stop it and not bother finishing it.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I took it to mean a movie so good that you are completely gripped by it, unwilling to pause the film even for a snack or a toilet break. You are so desperate to see what happens next, you can't bring yourself to stop it. If a film were that good, I certainly wouldn't take the dog out for a walk in the middle of it!

With a bad movie, I would probably pause it quite happily to go and do something else. I might stop it and not bother finishing it.

I would say I didn't want to stop watching it, not that I didn't want to pause. My eyes were glued to it.

saloom2

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Exactly! :-D

hetzer

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Is it all right to use the present tense instead of the past tense? How does this sentence sound to the natives?

Have you ever watched a film you are reluctant to pause, or makes you want to watch it again? I have already watched/seen one lah blah blah written by Blah Blah Blah.

tedtmc

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Have you ever watched... - is in the present perfect tense, about something you have done, a film you have watched.

When we talk about a film, we usually talk about the director rather than the writer.

not a teacher

Status
Not open for further replies.