Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Is my interpretation in 2 correct? I'd like to know if "even" can be used as "too, also, as well" depending on context.

1. I saw four girls. Three of them were tall. The other girl was even taller. (even = to a greater degree, emphasizing taller)
2. I saw four girls. Three of them were tall. The other girl was the tallest. She was even prettier.(even = as well, too)

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Is my interpretation in 2 correct? I'd like to know if "even" can be used as "too, also, as well" depending on context.

1. I saw four girls. Three of them were tall. The other girl was even taller. (even = to a greater degree, emphasizing taller)
2. I saw four girls. Three of them were tall. The other girl was the tallest. She was even prettier.(even = as well, too)

No, that's not natural.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia

If you saw four girls and they were all tall, it would be perverse to say that three of them were tall.
You might say, "I saw four girls. Three of them were fairly tall, but the fourth girl was a giant!"
No, 'even' doesn't mean that.

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
not a teacher

If you were, in the words of the song, "a girl watcher, watchin' girls go by", then you might say: "I saw four girls, the first three were tall but the fourth was even taller, and prettier too".

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
In another thread several months ago, you seem to have said that "even" can be used as "also, as well, too", so I doubt if it can be used in two ways of "much, still, far" and that kind of "also, as well, etc", but now you seem to be saying the opposite thing. Anyway, I found "yet, still", a very different definition like the following, so the three definitions are still ailing me. Please get me out of this confusion!!!

Even | Define Even at Dictionary.com
15. still; yet (used to emphasize a comparative): even more suitable.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Joan was pretty; Mary was even prettier. That's fine.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Joan was pretty; Mary was even prettier. That's fine.
Yes it is, but it doesn't mean "Joan was pretty; Mary was also pretty / Mary was pretty too", which is how keannu wants to use it.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Yes it is, but it doesn't mean "Joan was pretty; Mary was also pretty / Mary was pretty too", which is how keannu wants to use it.
I agree. I did not pay enough attention to that point.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.