Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
I would like to know if there are any nuances in using these words.
Are they the synonyms for each other?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland

Mr.Lucky_One

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Please, could you try to explain the differences of these words to me?
How does someone who is underappreciated differ from someone who is underestimated?

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Please, could you try to explain the differences of these words to me?
How does someone who is underappreciated differ from someone who is underestimated?

If you underestimate someone, they can do more than you believe they can. If you underestimate something, it is bigger than you thought it was. "I underestimated Mary. She is a great contributor to our team and I'm glad she was the person hired instead of the person I had recommended. "Many people underestimated the impacts of the snowstorm and now they are at home in the cold and in the dark wtihout enough food."

If you underappreciate something, you don't realize how good it is, how valuable. Susan felt underappreciated at work when her coworkers got a trip to Bermuda and she got a $50 gift card for the project they all worked on.

There are times, however, when "appreciate" is used to mean "estimated." "We didn't appreciate how much damage the CEO's affair would have on the company's reputation."

Mr.Lucky_One

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
If you underestimate someone, they can do more than you believe they can. If you underestimate something, it is bigger than you thought it was. "I underestimated Mary. She is a great contributor to our team and I'm glad she was the person hired instead of the person I had recommended. "Many people underestimated the impacts of the snowstorm and now they are at home in the cold and in the dark wtihout enough food."

If you underappreciate something, you don't realize how good it is, how valuable. Susan felt underappreciated at work when her coworkers got a trip to Bermuda and she got a $50 gift card for the project they all worked on.

There are times, however, when "appreciate" is used to mean "estimated." "We didn't appreciate how much damage the CEO's affair would have on the company's reputation."

Thanks for your detailed reply.
I'd like to ask two more questions about the word "appreciate". Is it right to say "I treasure something (or somebody)." meaning that I appreciate something (or somebody)? And is there a word such as "Undertreasure" in the English language?

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thanks for your detailed reply.
I'd like to ask two more questions about the word "appreciate". Is it right to say "I treasure something (or somebody)." meaning that I appreciate something (or somebody)? And is there a word such as "Undertreasure" in the English language?

No. "Undertreasure" is not a word. You can take someone or something for granted. Or fail to appreciate someone.

Status
Not open for further replies.