• Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

Does should be omitted, as in the case?

What is all this? demanded another voice peremptorily; and Mrs. Reed came along the corridor, her cap flying wide, her gown rustling stormily. Abbot and Bessie, I believe I gave orders that Jane Eyre should be left in the red-room till I came to her myself.(Jane Eyre)

(1) Whats the meaning of wide?
    (2) Does should be omitted, as in the case: The king commanded that all the people [should] be assembled at once.

Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Re: Does should be omitted, as in the case?

Quote Originally Posted by eipjoo View Post
    “What is all this?” demanded another voice peremptorily; and Mrs. Reed came along the corridor, her cap flying wide, her gown rustling stormily. “Abbot and Bessie, I believe I gave orders that Jane Eyre should be left in the red-room till I came to her myself.”(Jane Eyre)

(1) What’s the meaning of ‘wide’?
    (2) Should/Could ‘should’ be omitted, as in the case: ‘The king commanded that all the people [should] be assembled at once.’
    Yes, should could be omitted there. But that's how Bronte wrote it so, no, it shouldn't be omitted.
    A cap flying wide must be a cap that has things on it, like straps, or extensions that cover the ears that can fly up and out.