Does ‘should’ be omitted, as in the case?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eipjoo

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
“What is all this?” demanded another voice peremptorily; and Mrs. Reed came along the corridor, her cap flying wide, her gown rustling stormily. “Abbot and Bessie, I believe I gave orders that Jane Eyre should be left in the red-room till I came to her myself.”(Jane Eyre)

(1) What’s the meaning of ‘wide’?
(2) Does ‘should’ be omitted, as in the case: ‘The king commanded that all the people [should] be assembled at once.’

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
“What is all this?” demanded another voice peremptorily; and Mrs. Reed came along the corridor, her cap flying wide, her gown rustling stormily. “Abbot and Bessie, I believe I gave orders that Jane Eyre should be left in the red-room till I came to her myself.”(Jane Eyre)

(1) What’s the meaning of ‘wide’?
(2) Should/Could ‘should’ be omitted, as in the case: ‘The king commanded that all the people [should] be assembled at once.’
Yes, should could be omitted there. But that's how Bronte wrote it so, no, it shouldn't be omitted.
A cap flying wide must be a cap that has things on it, like straps, or extensions that cover the ears that can fly up and out.

19th%20bonnet.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.