Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Difference between "could be <ppt> and "could have been <ppt>"

Could you please tell me the difference between "could be <ppt> and "could have been <ppt>"? I got confused when I heard the news of an accident. It said "The accident could be avoided" but I suddenly thought why they hadn't used the following; "The accident could have been avoided". Can it be a reason that the accident had really happened whereas "could have been" is to be used to refer to a hypothetical situation - but both "could be" and "could have been" refer to a future-situation.

Thank you.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Re: Difference between "could be <ppt> and "could have been <ppt>"

If we are talking about an accident that did actually happen in the past, then 'could be avoided' is wrong. It must be 'could have been avoided'.

If we are talking about accidents in general, or in the future, then 'could have been' is wrong; 'could be' is appropriate.

vectrum

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Re: Difference between "could be <ppt> and "could have been <ppt>"

If we are talking about an accident that did actually happen in the past, then 'could be avoided' is wrong. It must be 'could have been avoided'.

If we are talking about accidents in general, or in the future, then 'could have been' is wrong; 'could be' is appropriate.

Thank you very much for your help. I understand. Your reply is very logical and I thought what you've mentioned so your reply also help me boost up my confidence.
Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.