How to say "nice to meet you" in a letter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mary_x_mas

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
There was a similar question about it here, but the answer was "If you are writing to someone but you have never met them then it wouldn't be appropriate to say anything like that [nice to meet or nice to know you], because you haven't met them and you don't know them!" And no mentioning, WHAT actually to use in this case.
So that's the question: what should I use in writing instead of "nice to meet you"?

Thanks.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Welcome to the forum, mary. :hi:

There is no way you can say that you are pleased about the happening of something that has not happened.

If you are expressing the hope that you would like to see somebody in the future, then you can say:

It would be nice to meet you some time.
I look forward to meeting you some time.

Grumpy

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I can't find the actual thread you refer to, but I agree with the answer given. I'm not sure why you would wish to put a phrase like that into a letter to someone you have not met. The normal ways of signing off a letter, either formally with "Yours faithfully" or informally with "Yours sincerely", are usually quite sufficient. If you are anticipating meeting the person to whom you are writing, then you can say something like "Looking forward to meeting you".
Perhaps I have not fully understood your question....

....and I see that I've been beaten to the punch!

mary_x_mas

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Thank you both for a full explanation! Unfortunatelly I can't post some links untill I have at least 10 messages.
And thanks for a greeting ;-)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
If you chat with someone online (over a video chat or voice/text chat), does that count as meeting (virtually)?

(Just watched The Big Bang Theory episode in which Sheldon is going around as a viritual presence device).

I think that these days being part of a video conference with someone would probably class as having met them, to some extent. If you've been involved in several video conferences with someone and then eventually you find yourself in the same room as them, you would probably say "It's great to meet you in person at last"!

Status
Not open for further replies.