Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
My vocabulary book has a picture of "cross-legged", which is the meditation leg posture in buddhism. This posture is putting both of your feet on your lap. But when we Koreans cross our legs, we don't make such a hard posture, just putting each foot under the other leg.
Is there any special term to call such a meditational leg posture?

kk108)cross-legged

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
In the days when I was able to sit cross-legged on the floor, my feet were certainly not in my lap.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

aachu

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Afghanistan
Not a teacher

IMHO, it is called lotus position probably because Budha, the founder of Budhism used to sit this way(?). And lotus is a symbol of Budhism... If you see statues of Budha, he is shown seated on lotus[flower].

70-80% people in Pakistan sit,slightly different from this way three(or more) times a day, that is, when they are taking their food. The difference being that, just like 5jj, their feet aren't in their laps.

Last edited:

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
The meditation/yoga seated position where the feet are in the lap is called the Lotus position. A normal crossed-legged position has the feet positioned under the opposite thigh.

Google image search for "lotus position" gives this result: https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=l...ev0QXq5oDwBQ&ved=0CAoQ_AUoAQ&biw=1680&bih=952
I think half of those are not the lotus position. The first four across the top are correct; they are sitting with the bottom of their feet facing upwards (or close to it). In the fifth photo, the woman has her feet under her legs.
The half-lotus position https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=l...06,d.dGI&fp=2d3280025bd9b855&biw=1366&bih=608 suggest that this is true - one foot up, on down.
(Lots of images are wrong on this page too, if those terms have any meaning).

vestcil

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I guess this guy asks the name of posture that one foot under the opposite side's leg and vice versa.
This posture is definitely different from lotus posture.
What is this posture called?

aachu

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Afghanistan
Not a teacher

Raymott, when you search photos of say python, not only will google show images of python but of anaconda as well. google.com.pk/search?hl=en&safe=off&tbm=isch&ie=UTF-8&q=python

Same is the case with lotus position. It(google) not only shows lotus but 'non lotus' position too.
In conclusion, google is not always 100% right.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It's true that not every picture reflects the true Lotus position, but that is because people have uploaded photos to the net and labelled them as being the Lotus position when they're not. That is a failing of people, not of Google or of language!

Here is Wikipedia's explanation of the Lotus position and a picture of a statue of Buddha in said position: Lotus position - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Status
Not open for further replies.