Student or Learner
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
In an exercise, I came upon this multiple choice question:
He has been preparing for months for his latest challenge. Next month he will climb/will be climbing La Esfinge mountain in Peru.

I think that that both answers are possible and natural. However, I prefer "will be climbing" over the other since there's an indication of a plan here, in which case "will be + ing" is IMO preferred. What's your view on this?

Last edited:

Gillnetter

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In an exercise, I came upon this multiple choice question:
He has been preparing for months for his latest challenge. Next month he will climb/will be climbing La Esfinge mountain in Peru.
"He will climb" is a statement that he will accomplish the task.
"He will be climbing" is a statement that he will be engaged in the task of climbing.

I think that that both answers are possible and natural. However, I prefer "will be climbing" over the other since there's an indication of a plan here (Where is this indication?), in which case "will be + ing" is IMO (Please do not use "IMO". We attempt to only use standard English in this forum. Also, It reminds me of a brand of sour cream sold in the US) preferred. What's your view on this?
Gil

CarloSsS

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
As I see it, the indication of a plan is in the preceding sentence. It says that he's been preparing for months.

You're right; I shouldn't've used IMO. Nevertheless, in this case, Michael Swan's PEU agres with me, so it's not only my opinion, but a widely accepted concept (based on the fact that Swan's mentions it in his book).

In any case, which of the options is more natural? Are both acceptable?

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Excerpt; "I think that both answers are possible and natural. However, I prefer "will be climbing" over the other since there's an indication of a plan here (Where is this indication?)"

The "indication" is in the use of the future progressive, which can be used for a planned future action.

Gillnetter

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Excerpt; "I think that both answers are possible and natural. However, I prefer "will be climbing" over the other since there's an indication of a plan here (Where is this indication?)"

The "indication" is in the use of the future progressive, which can be used for a planned future action.
Yes, that's what I was asking Carlos to explain.

CarloSsS

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Which one is right then? "Will climb" or "will be climbing"? Or both of them?

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Which one is right then? "Will climb" or "will be climbing"? Or both of them?

Either could be used based upon the distictions you made previously.

Status
Not open for further replies.