Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi,

I m in trouble with the bottom phrase which I guess that would not be true grammatically.

I would be please if someone clarify if is correct or not?

"Although his starting point and destination were fixed, he had considerable choice as to which states (or territories that subsequently became states) to travel through en route"

Thanks, If It's correct would you please simplify it for me?

Grumpy

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi,

I'm in trouble with the bottom phrase, which I guess [STRIKE]that[/STRIKE] would not be [STRIKE]true[/STRIKE] grammatically correct.

I would be pleased if someone would clarify if it is correct or not?

"Although his starting point and destination were fixed, he had considerable choice about which states (or territories that subsequently became states) he could travel through en route"

Thanks. If it's correct, would you please simplify it for me?

If you don't have to specifically mention the states and territories, then you could simplify it further by saying "Although his start and end points were fixed, he was able to choose his own route between them".

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I don't think 'fixed' sounds like a good word choice here, because to me it sounds as though the locations had to be nailed down. I would prefer "set" in this context. Also, I don't find "start and end points" very natural. So, for me, it would sound better like this:

Although the starting point and destination were set in advance, he was free to choose the route he would take through the various states and territories of the country.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi,

I m in trouble with the bottom phrase which I guess that would not be true grammatically.

I would be please if someone clarify if is correct or not?

"Although his starting point and destination were fixed, he had considerable choice as to which states (or territories that subsequently became states) to travel through en route"

Thanks, If It's correct would you please simplify it for me?

The others have given you simplified versions but please be aware that, with the exception of "fixed" which is not the best choice of word as konungsvursia said, the rest is fine.

I am going to travel to Greece using only public transport. I can choose which countries to travel through en route.

Sepmre

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Thank you all.

Sepmre

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Thanks for the corrections.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Instead of 'the bottom phrase', you need to say 'the sentence below'.

Note that you don't need to send your thanks in separate posts. Just click the Like button when you receive a useful reply.

Rover

Status
Not open for further replies.