• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

muscle failure

Please set me clear on the following in red.

On workout intensity, Jack LaLanne explained how, as people get older, they still need to give it all they've got. The writer for <USA Today> asked for clarification, "Don't doctors tell senior citizens not to push it too hard?" to which Jack barked, "What the hell do they know about exercise? Most of them know zero! You gotta push elderly people to muscle failure like everyone else. That's the only way the body responds."
    Jack was 86 at the time, 50 years my senior, and still tearing up the gym every day. I remember thinking how I'd be happy to just be able to to get out and walk on the beach when I reach that age.

Especially, what does "muscle failure" mean? And I don't know what "tearing up" means in the context. Does it mean "exercise hard in the gym"?

Thank you.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: muscle failure

Quote Originally Posted by unpakwon View Post
    Please set me clear on the following in red.

On workout intensity, Jack LaLanne explained how, as people get older, they still need to give it all they've got. The writer for <USA Today> asked for clarification, "Don't doctors tell senior citizens not to push it too hard?" to which Jack barked, "What the hell do they know about exercise? Most of them know zero! You gotta push elderly people to muscle failure like everyone else. That's the only way the body responds."
    Jack was 86 at the time, 50 years my senior, and still tearing up the gym every day. I remember thinking how I'd be happy to just be able to to get out and walk on the beach when I reach that age.

Especially, what does "muscle failure" mean? And I don't know what "tearing up" means in the context. Does it mean "exercise hard in the gym"?

Thank you.
    In this context, "muscle failure" seems to mean that one should exercise to the point of exhaustion - the point where muscles no longer respond correctly. "tearing up" here means working very hard or doing better than others are doing. If I am accused of "tearing up" the highway, I am being accused of driving too hard or too fast.