Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
1. I couldn't find a proper definition for "camp" in a dictionary - I know dictionaries don't give you everything - So what did the writer mean by "camp"? tent or just group of people?
2. Do they have hearths even in Africa? I think it's for nights because of big temperature difference between day and night.

st15)In a Bushman camp the averae space each person has is only 188 square feet, which is far less than... Typically huts are so close that people sitting at different hearths can hand items back and forth without getting up...

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I found this in the second dictionary I looked in at onelook.com.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
A camp can be anywhere that a group of people sets up a temporary place to live. It doesn't necessarily involve tents. I found the use of the word "hearths" a little surprising but if each group of people at a camp has their own campfire, perhaps it can be considered a hearth.

If you search Google Images for "bushman camp", you will find examples like this: http://tomtrowbridge.com/2010/05_Indabab/Grassland_Bushmen.jpg

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
A camp can be anywhere that a group of people sets up a temporary place to live. It doesn't necessarily involve tents. ...

:up: And 'temporary' needn't imply that the 'campers' have a permanent home. The Bushmen live like that.

b

Status
Not open for further replies.