Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Hello everybody!

I would like to check with you which version is correct.

I have asked for a bottle of milk to be sent (to) him. (I think it is correct but I am not sure).

or

I have asked for a bottle of milk to send (to) him. (I saw this structure many years ago in a book whose title I can't remember, so please don't ask me for the source).

Thank you. Maybe both the versions are acceptable.

The general meaning that I wanted to convey is that I have asked that a bottle of milk (should) be sent (to) him.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hello everybody!

I would like to check with you which version is correct.

I have asked for a bottle of milk to be sent (to) him. :tick: (I think it is correct but I am not sure).

or

I have asked for a bottle of milk to send (to) him. :tick:
I saw this structure many years ago in a book whose title I can't remember, so please don't ask me for the source).

Thank you. Maybe both the versions are acceptable.

The general meaning that I wanted to convey is that I have asked that a bottle of milk (should) be sent (to) him.

I'm sure you didn't want to hear that both are correct, but they are - in different contexts!

I have asked for a bottle of milk to be sent to him = I have asked/arranged for someone else to send the milk to him.
I have asked for a bottle of milk to send to him = someone is going to bring me the milk and then I will send it to him.

JACEK1

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Thank you, Emsr2d2.

Does it mean that "I have asked for a bottle of milk to send (to) him" contains hidden "in order to"?

In other words, I have asked someone to send me a bottle of milk and then I send the milk to him.

One could as well write ""I have asked for a bottle of milk in order to send (it) (to) him".

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thank you, Emsr2d2.

Does it mean that "I have asked for a bottle of milk to send (to) him" contains hidden "in order to"?

In other words, I have asked someone to send me a bottle of milk and then I send the milk to him.

One could as well write ""I have asked for a bottle of milk in order to send (it) (to) him".

Yes, I suppose you could say that. "I have asked for a bottle of milk so that I can send it to him".

JACEK1

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Which version is better:

"I have asked for a bottle of milk in order to send (it) (to) him".

or

"I have asked for a bottle of milk in order to send (to) him".

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Which version is better:

"I have asked for a bottle of milk in order to send (it) (to) him".

or

"I have asked for a bottle of milk in order to send (to) him".

If you want to include "in order to" then use: "I have asked for a bottle of milk in order to send it to him". However, that is somewhat wordy and it's better stated as "I have asked for a bottle of milk to send him".

Status
Not open for further replies.