• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Sinhalese
      • Home Country:
      • Sri Lanka
      • Current Location:
      • Austria

Unhappy Can someone please correct this sentence??

Hi dear teachers,

Recently, I wrote the following two sentences in an essay. Can you please tell me whether the second sentence makes any sense?

"On the other hand, others point of out the disadvantages of Mining activities. Mainly, the impact on the environment."

Can the second sentence "Mainly, the impact on the environment" stand out on its own? I mean can it be a grammatically correct sentence on its own right?

I hope you understand my question.

Thank you.

David

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: Can someone please correct this sentence??

Quote Originally Posted by DavidMax View Post
    Hi dear teachers,

Recently, I wrote the following two sentences in an essay. Can you please tell me whether the second sentence makes any sense?

"On the other hand, others point of out the disadvantages of mining activities - mainly, the impact on the environment."

Can the second sentence "Mainly, the impact on the environment" stand out on its own? I mean can it be a grammatically correct sentence on its own right?

I hope you understand my question.

Thank you.

David
    Welcome to the forum.

The simple answer to your question is no. As you can see from my amendment above, the second part should not stand alone as it is not a complete sentence. I have removed the full stop and replaced it with a dash, then a lower case "m". The single two-part sentence is now fine.

Also note that I deleted the word "of" in the first part. We "point out" something. You do not need to capitalise the word "mining" unless it is at the beginning of a sentence or the beginning of a quote.

You don't really need the word "activities" either, although I have left it in. You could have just said "... the disadvantages of mining - mainly, ..."
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Sinhalese
      • Home Country:
      • Sri Lanka
      • Current Location:
      • Austria

Smile Re: Can someone please correct this sentence??

Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    Welcome to the forum.

The simple answer to your question is no. As you can see from my amendment above, the second part should not stand alone as it is not a complete sentence. I have removed the full stop and replaced it with a dash, then a lower case "m". The single two-part sentence is now fine.

Also note that I deleted the word "of" in the first part. We "point out" something. You do not need to capitalise the word "mining" unless it is at the beginning of a sentence or the beginning of a quote.

You don't really need the word "activities" either, although I have left it in. You could have just said "... the disadvantages of mining - mainly, ..."
    Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you very much for your correction. I really appreciate it.

Have a nice day :)