Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I think that yes / no question is really tricky for non native English speakers to learn.

Someone says 'Yes, you are wrong.', but someone says, "No, you are wrong." because wrong is a negative word. For example,

A: Am I wrong?

B: Yes, you are wrong. / No, you are wrong.

Which one is a natural way of answering the question sentence? Or is there a meaning difference between them? Thank you so much as always and I hope to hear from you.

Chicken Sandwich

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Netherlands
Last edited:

Gillnetter

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think that yes / no question is really tricky for non native English speakers to learn.

Someone says 'Yes, you are wrong.', but someone says, "No, you are wrong." because wrong is a negative word. For example,

B: Yes, you are wrong. / No, you are wrong.

Which one is a natural way of answering the question sentence? Or is there a meaning difference between them? Thank you so much as always and I hope to hear from you.

Remember these lines from a famous old song - "Yes, we have no bananas".
Yes (It is correct), we have no (there is a lack of) bananas. The fruit seller was the optimistic sort who decided to always put things forth in the most positive manner.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

B: Yes, you are wrong.
:tick:
No, you are wrong.
:cross:

Your first suggestion is correct. Effectively, it means "Yes, your statement is correct - you are wrong".

Status
Not open for further replies.