• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

I wish I had had all those things.

I think this had better be "I wish I had all those things." as it indicates his present state, not the past one. If this is true, is it because some native speakers sometimes don't speak logically?

gu126)I see a funny face drawn in the sand. It's smiling at me, with round eyes, a wide smile, and a short funny nose. Most likely the hcild who drew it has loving parents who have brought him on holiday to the seaside. They've surely given him everything that I've never had. He's probably staying in a fancy hotel and even if he isn't, he's still living better than I am. I wish I could stay in a nice hotel too, but I can't. That child must have everything he needs to make his life happy. I wish I had had all those things.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: I wish I had had all those things.

Quote Originally Posted by keannu View Post
    I think this had better be "I wish I had all those things." as it indicates his present state, not the past one. If this is true, is it because some native speakers sometimes don't speak logically?

gu126)I see a funny face drawn in the sand. It's smiling at me, with round eyes, a wide smile, and a short funny nose. Most likely the hcild who drew it has loving parents who have brought him on holiday to the seaside. They've surely given him everything that I've never had. He's probably staying in a fancy hotel and even if he isn't, he's still living better than I am. I wish I could stay in a nice hotel too, but I can't. That child must have everything he needs to make his life happy. I wish I had had all those things.
    I think he is referring back to when he was a child. He wishes he had had all those things when he was a child, like the child he thinks drew the funny face in the sand.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Re: I wish I had had all those things.

Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    I think he is referring back to when he was a child. He wishes he had had all those things when he was a child, like the child he thinks drew the funny face in the sand.
    That's how I read it.