Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
What does this "By some measure" mean?

gu124)In recent years, there's been a sharp decline in honeybee numbers. By some measure the wild population has nearly disappeared, and if honeybees were to become extinct, we would be in trouble...

Gillnetter

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
What does this "By some measure" mean?

gu124)In recent years, there's been a sharp decline in honeybee numbers. By some measure the wild population has nearly disappeared, and if honeybees were to become extinct, we would be in trouble...
I would say that this statement is not true, given the number of bees in my neighborhood, but others, those who actually count bees, may have evidence that the number of bees are declining. They measure, or estimate, the number of bees one way (some measure) and I estimate (or measure) the number of bees another way. I can measure the distance from my house to the lake as being less than a mile. Others can measure this distance in kilometers - by some measure the distance is one kilometer, by another measure the distance is about 3,280 feet.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Sadly, in the UK, the decline is very real.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
:up: (And there's just a typo, keannu: 'By some measures...'. 'By some <expression-of-distance>...' is possible (with a different meaning) in some cases, for example 'She beat him by some distance' - which means 'by quite a significant distance'. But with 'measure' the singular doesn't work.

b

Status
Not open for further replies.