Results 1 to 2 of 2
  1. #1

    Where to study non subsidized ESOL?

    Where can a non-EU national study ESL (ESOL) in N.Ireland UK? Most colleges i have asked say no one other than UK residents can study ESL/ESOL courses because these courses are government subsidized. Can ESL/ESOL be studied privately, or via CDrom, or online etc? My non-EU national friend wants to study while she has a visitor visa, and the British Embassy say she can study up to 6 months ok with that visa. But they don't specify what she can study? So as she has a visitor visa she is not a resident. She only become a resident after working here in UK for 2 years. The whole point of her wanting to improve her English is so that she can get a decent job (via the work permit scheme).

  2. Editor,
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 60,732

    Re: Where to study non subsidized ESOL?

    She can study privately- here's a list of schools in Northern Ireland:
    She shouldn't have any trouble studying part-time, wich is under 15 (I think) hours a week. When a course is classed as full-time, it might be more complicated because that would require a student visa.

Similar Threads

  1. study vs research
    By Tombraiders in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 26-Mar-2009, 01:34
  2. My english study plan...
    By coolrains in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-Jul-2007, 12:40
  3. ESOL Resource Centers
    By smoore in forum Teaching English
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 23-Sep-2004, 14:45
  4. Informative Abstract
    By bmbsa in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 02-Mar-2004, 14:59


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts