discrete listening

hello,
    I want to know whether this exercise is correct to help students practice discrete listening or not?
    Here is what I have planned.
    Objective:
    This listening activity will help students to increase their vocabulary and to make them understnd where to use -ing and -ed adjective.The students will be provided with finely-tuned input. It will be done by talking and listening about different hobies and interests.
    Pre-listening
    Students will be shown pictures representing differnt hobbies and sports. They wil be asked questions.
    Which hobbies do these picture show?
    Make a list of the sports, games, and hobbies that students do or enjoy.

Then the students will listen to 5 short converstaions where the interviewer asks from different people about their hobbies and the way they feel about their pastime.

Students are given a work sheet where they have to write what sport or hobby the speakers are talking about and write the number of each conversation in the appropriate column.

Students will listen the conversation again to fill the columns.
    Again they will listen the passage to make the note of all adjectives that are being used in the passage.

Students are being told where to use -ing and -ed adjectives. Then they asked to do fill in the gaps exercise.

I'm tired.
    It's ________.(tiring)

It's relaxing.
    I'm ________. (relaxed)
    etc.

Adventages.
    This approach is from 'parts to whole' approach. This will help students to increase the vocabulary with the help of affixation, change in grammatical class, and grammatical period, the learner can make many more words.

Thanks
    Last edited by knowledgeseeker; 08-Feb-2006 at 17:40.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

Re: discrete listening

When do the students get the worksheet? Do they listen without it, thwen get it, or do they have it at the time of the first listening? If the former, shouldn't they have some guidance about what willbe expected?

well expectations will be created among students in the pre-listening phase where they will be shown pictures of different hobbies and they will be asked questions related to picture.then they will be also asked about their hobbies and I'll make a list of their hobbies on the white board.Now students have in their mind that they are going to listen somethig about hobbies and sports.

Work sheets will be with them while they listen the audio tape.
    But they will not be allowed to see their work sheet while listening for the first time.

Please also tell me is it the correct exercise for discrete listening? I am afraid its not going to be global listening.

Thanks

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

Naming the sport is more global- they're not having to get much specific out of it, and there may be many clues, etc. The adjectives used part is more discrete, IMO.

Thanks
    I can make it more specific if Iam going to talk about grammar, parts of speech and grammar.
    What if I ask for picture dictation?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

If you're going to focus of the adjective forms, then can't you make it descrete by getting them to identify the forms used. What do you mean by asking for a picture dictation?