Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
In America, when you suggest to give your blood donor card, does it mean you will give your blood allocated on that card? I have donated blood before in Korea, but the system in the states seems to be different.

M : Hello, Linda. How are you?

W: Hi, Brad. I’m fine. How about you?
M: I’m pretty good. What’s up?
W: You remember my cousin James, don’t you?
M: Sure. We had a great time at the amusement park last year. How is he doing? W: Not well, unfortunately. He’s in the hospital.
M: Really? What happened to him?
W: He had a car accident this morning, and he needs blood donations.
M: Then, maybe I can help. I have several blood donor cards.
W: That’s why I’m calling. Can you give me the cards for him?
M: Yes, of course.
W: Thanks a lot.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It doesn't make a lot of sense to me. If you donate blood, they do give you a card. In times of scarcity this is supposed to guarantee you access to blood from the blood bank ahead of someone who wasn't a donor.

But it's not transferable to other people that I am aware of. I am not sure what collecting cards from other people would do.

If you need 3 pints of blood during some surgery and you have only donated 2 pints, it's not like they are going to refuse to give you what you need.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Are you sure this is American?

When you need life-saving measures, you get life-saving measures. You don't, as Dave said, not get needed blood because you yourself are not a donor.

I have a blood donor card, which simply facilitates the process of giving blood. They already know who I am, where I live, etc.

Blood donation is of course entirely voluntary.

Status
Not open for further replies.