Student or Learner
Native Language
Danish
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Austria
Hey,

I've lived in an English-speaking country for pretty much my whole life. Soon, however, I'll be moving to the U.S.

I'm a bit socially awkward and do not want to embarrass myself due to my non-American accent.

Here's a short recording of me talking in English: vocaroo.com/i/s1VUL31iY74G

How genuinely American (or not) does my accent sound? How can I improve it?

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hey,

I've lived in an English-speaking country for pretty much my whole life. Soon, however, I'll be moving to the U.S.

I'm a bit socially awkward and do not want to embarrass myself due to my non-American accent.

Here's a short recording of me talking in English: vocaroo.com/i/s1VUL31iY74G

How genuinely American (or not) does my accent sound? It doesn't sound "genuine" and it doesn't matter. As I have posted many times in response to similar queries, accents can be and are interesting and even attractive. Concentrate on pronunciation and enjoy the U.S. How can I improve it?

b.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Your first sentence seems rather ironic. "I have lived in an English-speaking country for pretty much my whole life. However, soon I'll be moving to the US". You will do well to remember that the US is an English-speaking country!

Your accent is completely irrelevant.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
No worries someben. Most Americans will understand your Strine, but most of them will be unable to distinguish it from various accents of BrE. It will be an easy transition for you.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.