• Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

• Post Thanks / Like

Talking Doubt in using tag sentense

Dear Teacher ,

I have used tags in the following sentences .I doubt some of them are wrong .

Please correct me if any of the following sentence is wrong .Thanks a lot for ur time .

Jack : Should he have taken the medicine before the meal ? Jill : Yes ,he should .Mini : No, he should not .
    Jack : Would he have done that if I stopped him ? Jill : Yes ,he would .Mini : No, he wouldn't .
    Jack : Could he have done the task if someone of us helped him ?Jill : Yes he could , .Mini : No,he couldn't .
    Jack : Was he to go to the temple that day ?Jill : Yes ,he was .Mini : No,he wasn't .
    Jack: Shall I be working on this from tomorrow ? Jill : Yes ,you will .Mini : No,you won't .
    Jack : You tell me would he have to take any precaution before the surgery ? Jill : Yes ,he would . Mini : No,he wouldn't .
    Jack : Will he be able to finish the task by tomorrow ? Jill : Yes ,he will . Mini : No,he won't .
    Jack : Will he have to do this work ? Jill : Yes he will .Mini:No he won't .
    Jack : Will he be able to do this work alone after training ? Jill : Yes ,he will .
    Jack : He can be the winner this time . Jill : Yes, he can .
    Jack: He could have been the winner this time . Jill : Yes he could .
    Jack : It wouldn't be nice if we asked him to pay for it . Jill : No it wouldn't .
    Jack : It should be kept in the box . Jill : Yes, it should .

Regards,
    Deb

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: Doubt in using tag sentense

None of your examples follow what I would understand as using tags. Here's how I would express your first two sentences, including tags in red:

Jack: He should have taken the medicine before the meal, shouldn't he? Jill: Yes, he should. Mini: No, he shouldn't.
    Jack: He wouldn't have done that if I had stopped him,
    would he? Jill: Yes he would. Mini: No, he wouldn't.

Note that a positive statement [he should] is followed by a negative tag [shouldn't he?] and vice versa.

Also, do not leave a space before a punctuation mark. The space comes after a punctuation mark.
    "I doubt some of them are wrong" is not correct. It should be "I think some of them are wrong", or "I think some of them may be wrong".
    It's "Please correct me if any of the following
    sentences are wrong."
    Finally, please do not use expressions such as "ur". The correct word is "your".
    I'm not a teacher of English, but I have spoken it for (almost) all of my life....

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

• Post Thanks / Like

Thank you so much for ur reply .
    My intention here is to learn how to answer a question shortly .It doesn't matter if it is called tag or not .

Let's the question is "Would he have done that if I stopped him ? " The answer can be "I think ,he would".

Is it always necessary to ask a question like "He wouldn't have done that if I had stopped him, would he?" . The first form is also correct in spoken english . Am I right ?

Also please tell me if the following sentences are correct or not

---
    Jack : You said you have to leave early today .You have some party .
    Jill : Yes I am supposed to . But some work is there.I can not .
    ---
    Jack : You can do very good painting .Why didn't you become a profession painter ?
    JIll : I wanted to .But I couldn't .

--
    Jack : Didn't it get delayed for a month in the last quarter ?
    Jill : It might be . But we got what we expected .

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

• Post Thanks / Like

Also, do not leave a space before a punctuation mark. The space comes after a punctuation mark.

Finally, please do not use expressions such as "ur". The correct word is "your".

In my response to your first post on this thread, I pointed out some errors you had made in punctuation, and the use of slang words. You have repeated these in your next post.
    I'm sorry, but I don't see much point in my answering your questions if you ignore the advice I give you.
    I'm not a teacher of English, but I have spoken it for (almost) all of my life....

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by debasis1983 View Post
    My intention here is to learn how to answer a question shortly .It doesn't matter if it is called tag or not .
    You can simply nod your head. If you want to do it in English, you should probably think about how to do it with courtesey.