Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
1. I think this is a very rare style and I guess like "on aid (which is) a series of factors", "which is" is implied in between. Is this a mistake or an acceptable style?
2. What does "source" in "international sources" mean? "Organization"?

st74)Jamaica is the third largest island in the Caribbean, with an area of...Between 60 percent and 70 percent of the country's revenues go directly towards servicing this debt, and the country remains heavily reliant on aid, a series of factors that make it difficult for Jamaica to obtain credit from international sources.

Last edited:

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
1. I think this is a very rare style and I guess like "on aid (which is) a series of factors", "which is" is implied in between. Is this a mistake or an acceptable style?
2. What does "source" in "international sources" mean? "Organization"?

st74)Jamaica is the third largest island in the Caribbean, with an area of...Between 60 percent and 70 percent of the country's revenues go directly towards servicing this debt, and the country remains heavily reliant on aid, a series of factors that make it difficult for Jamaica to obtain credit from international sources.

It's fine. have you looked up "source" in a dictionary.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
1. So do you mean "which is" is implied? I'm sorry sometimes your answer is too short to fully understand. Could you let me know if such a style - I haven't seen it a lot - is acceptable?
2. I looked up "source" in a dictionary, but no definition went like "organization" in the intepretation.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Let me give you a simpler sentence:
Charlie is handsome as well as rich, factors that make if hard for him to avoid attention from women.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Thanks a lot! I learned that this is a kind of grammar-breaking expression. Incidentally, what do you think "source" here means? The interpretation goes as "organization".

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Incidentally, what do you think "source" here means? The interpretation goes as "organization".
Did you look at the definition in the link bhai provided?

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Thanks a lot for bhai!!! I did after he gave me the link, but I was typing the last thread when he gave me the link, when synchronism didn't happen regretfully.

Status
Not open for further replies.