• Thread starter bleiva
  • Start date
  • Views : 1,562
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bleiva

Hello! :)

I'm looking for help with the prepositions ''in'' and ''with''. I would like to understand the difference between them in sentences like the following:

-''He smiled in/with joy'' In these cases, I've heard ''in'' being used, why?
-''It glows in/with a blue color'' ?? Should it be ''in''? Or ''with'' ? Because I've heard ''He is glowing with rage''.

The problem is that in spanish we often use ''con '' (with), but sometimes in english you need to use ''in'' (en), which is why I'm getting confused. Every piece of help would be much appreciated, all I would like to know is why I need to use ''in'' in certain cases and ''with'' in others.

Thank you :)

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Hello! :)

I'm looking for help with the prepositions ''in'' and ''with''. I would like to understand the difference between them in sentences like the following:

-''He smiled in/with joy'' In these cases, I've heard ''in'' being used, why?
-''It glows in/with a blue color'' ?? Should it be ''in''? Or ''with'' ? Because I've heard ''He is glowing with rage''.

The problem is that in spanish we often use ''con '' (with), but sometimes in english you need to use ''in'' (en), which is why I'm getting confused. Every piece of help would be much appreciated, all I would like to know is why I need to use ''in'' in certain cases and ''with'' in others.

Thank you :)

I wouldn't use "in" in those examples.

B

bleiva

I wouldn't use "in" in those examples.

Okay, thank you :), but why exactly? I've heard sentences like ''smile in disbelief'', ''shake in fear'', are these wrong too? All I want to understand is why ''with'' is better than ''in'' when refering to emotions.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Bhai didn't say they were wrong. He expressed his preference. Those who prefer 'with' will make their point later.

Rover

Status
Not open for further replies.