Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
British Abbreviations for Million, Billion, Trillion

Are these correct?

The government paid $100m for improvements.

It was a $100m a year industry.

It was a $100m per year industry.

a $100m to $150m per year industry

A $5bn investment was made early last year.

The government is in debt for $1tn.

a $1tn deficit

Thanks.

Grumpy

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The British abbreviations for a million and a billion are as you have illustrated. I have never seen a trillion abbreviated, and the term itself is very seldom used, since most people would not know how many items make up a trillion.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Here is a quotation from the style guide of The Economist, my favourite British publication:

[FONT=verdana, geneva, arial, sans serif][SIZE=-1]Use m for million, but spell out billion,except in charts, where bn is permissible but not obligatory. Thus: 8m, £8m, 8 billion, €8 billion. A billion is a thousand million, a trillion a thousand billion, a quadrillion a thousand trillion.

[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=verdana, geneva, arial, sans serif][SIZE=-1]Use 5,000-6,000, 5-6%, 5m-6m (not 5-6m) and 5 billion-6 billion. But sales rose from 5m to 6m (not 5m-6m); estimates ranged between 5m and 6m (not 5m-6m).
[/SIZE][/FONT]

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Does anyone know whether astronomers abbreviate trillion? They may use the term more often.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
In my opinion astronomers, like all scientists, would resort to the mathematical notation of exponents. Instead of writing four trillion parsecs, an astronomer would use 4 x 10[SUP]9 [/SUP]parsecs or 4 x 10[SUP]6 [/SUP]kiloparsecs. Amazingly, perhaps, this occurs in speech as well as in writing. Not only have I often heard things like [FONT=&quot]4 x 10[SUP]9[/SUP][/FONT] spoken as four by ten to the ninth or four times ten to the ninth, I've actually done it myself. :-D

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Not only have I often heard things like 4 x 10[SUP]9[/SUP] spoken as four by ten to the ninth or four times ten to the ninth, I've actually done it myself. :-D
I do that when I try to calculate how many units of alcohol I have drunk in my life. ('trillion' sounds obscene). Unfortunately, few people appear to understand 'sshicksh by ten to the ner-ninsh'.

Status
Not open for further replies.