Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
1. What does "extra time" mean here? If we estimate a thunder will happen after 5 minutes of hearing the sound, will we run away in 3 minutes, less than 5 minutes, so we can earn 2 more minutes?
2. Maybe slower people like seniors would escape in 7-10 minutes than younger people who would in 3-5 minutes. So does "those in weaker physical condition would rely more on escape to survive." mean "weaker people would strive to escape quicker, hurrying up"?

gu124)When our ears hear a threatening sound approaching us, our brains make us believe that the source of the sound will reach us sonner than it actually will. In this way, our brains give us extra time to decide to escape if a threat is coming our way. Scientists have known this phenomenon for some time.
Recently, however, researchers have discovered that the length of the escape time our brains provide depends on our physical fitness. The weaker we are, the longer our escape time. If we were to be threatened by approaching danger, those in weaker physical condition would rely more on escape to survive. Therefore, their brains encourage them to flee sooner.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I would need to see more context to understand what kinds of threats they are talking about. But, yes, the idea is that if you hear something "far off" that might be trouble for you when it approaches, how we estimate how "far off" it is depends on our physical condition.

I guess this explains the stereotypical elderly driver.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Thanks a lot! Can you just tell me more about "extra time" here? And this is the whole context, I couldn't find any more.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Well, let's say there is a herd of elephants stampeding.

If I am an able-bodied young man, I might estimate them to be 5 minutes from my position.

If I am an older person who walks and runs slower, I might estimate them to be 2 minutes from my position. My mind has given me "extra time" to react, since my reaction will be slower.

Status
Not open for further replies.