• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Egypt
      • Current Location:
      • Egypt

Red face Using a semi colon instead of a comma when there is examples or even though clause.

Hello everyone,

I want to know more about punctuation. I know the sentence may be vague and not natural. But it is to clarify more about the use of semi-colons in these sentences.

1-Some films are educational teaching us ,as students, more about the history of wars, facts, and historical dates.

2- Even though without tourism, the standard of living would not be improved as nowadays; the industry is vulnerable to economic crises and natural disaster.

3-It's my contention that; as well as enhancing creativity, computer gaming improves math, thinking and language skills.
    Last edited by saloom2; 06-Mar-2013 at 11:24.
    I wish I had better English, but I work hard to improve it. I'm studying for IGCSE, so I'm only interested in BrE.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Re: Using a semi colon instead of a comma when there is examples or even though claus

Quote Originally Posted by saloom2 View Post
    Hello everyone,

I want to know more about punctuation. I know the sentence may be vague and not natural. But it is to clarify more about the use of semi-colons in these sentences.

1-Some films are educational teaching us ,as students, more about the history of wars, facts, and historical dates.

2- Even though without tourism, the standard of living would not be improved as nowadays; the industry is vulnerable to economic crises and natural disaster.

3-It's my contention that; as well as enhancing creativity, computer gaming improves math, thinking and language skills.

Ok, just my opinion on the use of semi-colons (and the opinion of my teacher) is generally they don't get used these days. Instead it's better to end the sentence rather than prolong it.

On the use of commas, I know people that try and use them for extra emphasis. But you need to know when enough is enough.

With your first sentence, I'd put it as follows:

'Some films are educational, teaching us as students more about the history of wars, facts and historical dates.'

Hope it helps.
    I'm not a teacher yet, but I am studying a Bachelor of Education with an English Literature major at Charles Sturt University, in NSW, Australia.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Egypt
      • Current Location:
      • Egypt

Re: Using a semi colon instead of a comma when there is examples or even though claus

For a start, thanks a lot for your explanation. Well, the idea here is not about prolonging sentences because if you read them carefully again, you will find it is impossible to end those sentences especially the second and third one.
    I wish I had better English, but I work hard to improve it. I'm studying for IGCSE, so I'm only interested in BrE.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by saloom2 View Post

I wouldn't use a semi-colon anywhere in that sentence.

It's my contention that, as well as enhancing creativity, computer gaming improves maths, thinking and language skills.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

Semicolons serve several useful purposes. Read more here.

None of your sentences have any need for semicolons.

Consider this punctuation:

1-Some films are educational, teaching us, as students, more about the history of wars, facts, and historical dates.

2- Even though without tourism, the standard of living would not be improved, as nowadays [no punctuation] the industry is vulnerable to economic crises and natural disasters.

3-It's my contention that [no punctuation] as well as enhancing creativity, computer gaming improves math, thinking and language skills.

Rover

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Quote Originally Posted by Rover_KE View Post
    3-It's my contention that [no punctuation] as well as enhancing creativity, computer gaming improves math, thinking and language skills.

Rover
    Surely we need a comma before and after 'as well as enhancing creativity (acting rather like brackets) or, possibly no commas at all. If you have only one, you are placing a single comma between 'It's my contention that' and 'computer gaming improves math, etc'.
    Last edited by emsr2d2; 09-Mar-2013 at 00:14. Reason: typo