• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

Question Past Simple and Present Perfect

Can anyone help me with an solution, where to use Past simple and where Present Perfect, in a simple way!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

Re: Past Simple and Present Perfect

Here is an example that can illustrate the difference between the Past Simple and Present Perfect.

I have just called him. (no specific time is mentioned; the keyword "just" is used; the action has taken place right before the statement is uttered)

I called him at 1 pm. (it is specifically mentioned when the action took place).

Getting accustomed to using any of the tenses of the English language takes some time. When it comes to the Present Perfect, there is always an aura of something "warm" in the air. In the case of the Past Simple, everything is "cold". Of course, you might disagree with me and say that something that happened just a minute ago is still "warm". And you're right about that. However, if the time (e.g., 1 pm) is specifically MENTIONED, you'll have to use the Past Simple.
    Last edited by Bennevis; 08-Mar-2013 at 13:35.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

Quote Originally Posted by yo_mirzaei View Post
    Can anyone [help me with a solution, ] show me how to use the Past Simple and the Present Perfect in a simple way?
    I don't believe there is a simple way to understand the difference between these two grammar forms. The idea of something 'warm' or 'cold' in the air seems fairly attractive but, in the long run, it will all boil down to from which point the speaker sees the action. So, you will do well to remember that while one tense form belongs to the past, the other one is clearly about the present.

ps. I'd also add 'please' to your question but it could be a matter of taste.
    Last edited by Esredux; 08-Mar-2013 at 18:26.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

One idea that help some people is retrospection. When we use the present perfect, our feet are firmly in the present, and we are looking back on some situation that began (at least) in the past. WE feel some connection with the present itself or with the period of time extending up to the present.

I have worked in China.
    I have been to China twice.
    I have lived in Prague for ten years.

When we use the past simple, we are placing the situation clearly at some past time or in some past period.

I worked in China in 2002.
    I went to China in 2002 to work. I went back for a holiday seven years later.
    I arrived in Prague in 1998.
    Last edited by 5jj; 08-Mar-2013 at 21:02. Reason: typos

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

Quote Originally Posted by 5jj View Post
    One idea that help some people is retrospection. When we use the present perfect, our feet are firmly in the present, and we are looking back on some situation that began (at least) in the past. We feel some connection with the present itself or with the period of time extending up to the present.

I have worked in China.
    I have been to China twice.
    I have lived in Prague for ten years.

When we use the Past Simple, we are placing the situation clearly at some past time or in some past period.

I worked in China in 2002.
    I went to China in 2002 to work. I went back for a holiday seven years later.
    I arrived in Prague in 1998.
    5jj, I hope you won't get angry at me for my having corrected some of these accidental errors of yours! I expect the same from you - and not only errors like these; anything unnatural on my part could be edited too (if you have time!). Cheers!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Quote Originally Posted by Bennevis View Post
    5jj, I hope you won't get angry at me for my having corrected some of these accidental errors of yours!
    Not at all. I am grateful that you found them before I confused too many people. I have now corrected them, thanks.