Is it allowed to use gerund in an analysis?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jktz90

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
Hello,

I'm currently preparing for an english exam next week and I'm wondering if its allowed to use the gerund in an analysis. I've always learned that you have to write in simple present only.

For example:
"The author uses this rhetorical device to provoke sympathy for the black's situation in the last centuries by quoting[!](citing, stating, explaining....)[...]."

I always tried to avoid the gerund in my analysis even though I had to some good ideas which i couldn't realize due to the gerund.

Can someone tell me whether it is allowed to use the gerund or just informally incorrect?

Another question: Is it correct to say "The blacks are/were discriminated" or do I have to say "The blacks are/were discriminated against".

Thanks a lot

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Welcome to the forum, jktz. :hi:

The gerund is perfectly acceptable. What made you think it might not be?

Last edited by a moderator:

jktz90

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
I've no clue. Maybe I was always confused about present progressive and the gerundium.
But thanks a lot. I always tried desperately to adapt my sentences without using the gerundium, which isn't easy at all :p

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
'Gerundium'? Where did that suddenly come from?

Rover

Last edited:

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think they are growing in my garden.

Odessa Dawn

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
I've no clue. Maybe I was always confused about present progressive and the gerundium.
But thanks a lot. I always tried desperately to adapt my sentences without using the gerundium, which isn't easy at all :p

What does ":p" stand for, please?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
What does ":p" stand for, please?

It is how some people choose to make a "smiley". It is supposed to look like two eyes and someone sticking their tongue out. You have to turn your screen around 90 degrees to see it. Normally, there is a smiley which looks like that but it doesn't appear in this forum's smilies options.

~Mav~

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Europe
Current Location
Europe
'Gerundium'? Where did that suddenly come from?

Gerund comes from the Latin gerundium, which itself derives from the gerundive of the Latin verb gero, namely gerundus, meaning "(which is) to be carried out".
Source: Gerund - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

(I'm not endorsing using "gerundium" instead of "gerund"; I would just have liked to point out that its usage could be justifiable. ;-) )

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Normally, there is a smiley which looks like that but it doesn't appear in this forum's smilies options.
Indeed it doesn't, but it is actually implemented in the forum's engine. Just put a "nose" (a dash) between the "eyes" (colon) and the "tongue" (P), and lo and behold, it appears. :p ;-)

Code:
:-P

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Odessa Dawn,

You might find this useful: List of emoticons :)

anhnha

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
I think it is a mistake of jktz. Maybe, the intended characters are :) because the "P" is close to ")" in keyboard. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.