Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
Dear teachers,

When I studied English at school I was taught to use "to" after the verb "help". At present, I come across a lot of phrases like "help do smth".
What is the correct form to use?

Thank you.
Urban Dictionary: smth

SMTH - What does SMTH stand for? Acronyms and abbreviations by the Free Online Dictionary.

What does IRC mean? - IRC Definition - Meaning of IRC - InternetSlang.comIRC means

Definition of relay | Collins English Dictionary
"smth" lead me to search for its full form. So, after searching Google, I found
(IRC slang). And it stands for "Internet Relay Chat" Does that mean it is commonly used in chat rooms?

Odessa Dawn

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
What does "Internet Relay Chat" mean? The word relay made me confused.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
IRC isn't slang. It's the name of the software/program which is used in chatrooms. I doubt you will actually see the acronym used by anyone actually chatting in the chatroom. I'm still not sure how we got to IRC from you looking up "smth".

Odessa Dawn

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
I'm still not sure how we got to IRC from you looking up "smth".

While I was looking for "smth" to investigate whether it is an standard abbreviation, I found it is "Internet Relay Chat". Besides, I am an old man which means that chat room has no place in my world. So, I decided to create a new thread in which native speakers enlighten me.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I was actually an early user of IRC, through a program called mIRC. I believe they were among the earliest of "chat rooms" where people interact as though they are in the same room. Some of today's chat rooms are not that different, but some provide a lot more options. Yahoo chat provides the option for chat rooms, though they are generally full of automated spam messages. There are some chat rooms just for people learning a language. There are some for people who want to talk about cats. There are some for parents of special needs children. If there is a topic you can think of, there is probably at least one forum and at least one chat room to talk about it.

No one I know uses the phrase "IRC" these days.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
IRC isn't slang. It's the name of the software/program which is used in chatrooms. I doubt you will actually see the acronym used by anyone actually chatting in the chatroom. I'm still not sure how we got to IRC from you looking up "smth".

:up: Equally, the users are not required to be, and usually are not, aware that a relay is involved; in the instance of any one conversation, each bit of it can (and probably does, depending on the software) follow a different route. (One of the signs of this happening - in Twitter, as an example (although I'm not sure that qualifies as IRC and I'm just giving this as an example of how different routes can make themselves felt in an Internet 'conversation') - is that a tweet can arrive after a retweet of the same tweet. What this means is just that the route from the tweeter to the receiver is longer than the sum of [the route from the tweeter to the retweeter] + [the route from the retweeter to the receiver].)

But if that example doesn't help, don't worry. The point of good software is that it leaves users free to do what needs to be done, without worrying about what's going on under the hood as they say (the They in question being American - we'd've said 'under the bonnet' ;-))

b

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
While I was looking for "smth" to investigate whether it is an standard abbreviation, I found it is "Internet Relay Chat". Besides, I am an old man which means that chat room has no place in my world. So, I decided to create a new thread in which native speakers enlighten me.

smth/smthg are used more widely that just internet slang. They're widely used in English teaching- I saw them used by teachers on whiteboards before people used the internet. You'll also see smne (someone).

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
:up: I saw them used (and their French equivalent, qqch) in a classroom in the mid sixties - by an admittedly 'trendy' assistant, who also used qqn.

b

Status
Not open for further replies.