Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I would like to know what could be the most suitable question-tag for the following sentence:

Humour may be one of our best antidotes to stressful situations.

This is for students learning ESL. Any help will be appreciated.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"... mightn't it?" However, I would change "may" to "might" earlier in the sentence - it is the more appropriate word for your context.

neildsilva

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Thanks for your response. I agree that 'may' can be ideally replaced by 'might' in the above sentence. However, I would like to know what an appropriate question-tag would be if the sentence does contain 'may be'.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Thanks for your response. I agree that 'may' can be ideally replaced by 'might' in the above sentence. However, I would like to know what an appropriate question-tag would be if the sentence does contain 'may be'.
There isn't one.

As ems has already explained, 'mightn't it?' is possible, but most of us would use 'might' in the main clause if we were going to add a question tag.

'Mayn't it? exists, but it is rarely used.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
There isn't one.

As ems has already explained, 'mightn't it?' is possible, but most of us would use 'might' in the main clause if we were going to add a question tag.

'Mayn't it? exists, but it is rarely used.

The last person I heard using "mayn't it" was my grandfather whose education in the English language took place in the early 1920s. I haven't heard it from anyone of a younger generation.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
:oops:

I sometimes feel very old in this forum.

Oops! You know what? I nearly finished my post with "Now watch 5jj tell me he still uses it" and I talked myself out of it. I should go with my gut instinct!

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I try to avoid some of the pass-their-best-by constructions in my speech, especially when I am with learners. Unfortunately, the English insisted on in preparatory, public and some grammar schools well into the 1960s was very much the language of educated people of the 1930s, when many of my English teachers were at public school and Oxbridge. It was so drilled/beaten into us for ten years, followed by a further three years with fellow-students and dons who had been through the same process, that some of us are still stuck with it.

neildsilva

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Yes, I did give 'mayn't it' a thought and then quickly disbanded the idea. I have never heard anyone using it in contemporary speech and we focus on functional grammar when teaching English here. Though I cannot change the question (it was asked verbatim in an examination), I would prefer to stick with 'mightn't it'. Thanks - that's a load off my back.

Status
Not open for further replies.