Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

Question Any cultural clue?! sentence clarification, please!

Hi dear all!
    There are some rationales behind "single parents families" which may be germane to some cultural clues and is somewhat intricate to me. I wonder if anyone could clarify some elements of the below sentence.

"Single parents families are generally the result of divorce and separation, out-of-wedlock birth, and male unemployment"

Aren't the last two factors the reasons for so-called "divorce and separation"?
    Does each one lead the common life to both divorce or separation the same way?
    What are the consequences of "out-of-wedlock birth" and "male unemployment"?

Thanks

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Re: Any cultural clue?! sentence clarification, please!

We normally speak of 'single parentsfamilies.
    Quote Originally Posted by faryan View Post

"Single parents families are generally the result of divorce and separation, out-of-wedlock birth, and male unemployment"

Aren't the last two factors the reasons for so-called "divorce and separation"?
    Sometimes. Many other things lead to divorce and separation,
    I don't understand the question.
    What are the consequences of "out-of-wedlock birth" and "male unemployment"?
    Well, single parent families are one result.

You appear to have misunderstood what was said.

In some families, there is only one parent. This situation may be a consequence of:

divorce: one parent has left.
    separation: one parent has left.
    out-of-wedlock birth: the father was never around.
    male unemployment: the unemployed father may have walked out, or moved away to find work.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by faryan View Post

Aren't the last two factors the reasons for so-called "divorce and separation"? Usually just the second. The first could happen - the (unmarried) father leaves because his partner won't have the pregnancy terminated. I suspect this is much less common than the Daily Mail thinks.
    What are the consequences of "out-of-wedlock birth" and "male unemployment"? See above.

b

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

I was struggling to understand how male unemployment created a single-parent family.

Your analysis omits the women who are ready to be parents but who do not not have a life partner, so they become pregnant and single by choice. While technically an "out of wedlock" birth, it does not have to imply the male partner left when he learned of the pregnancy.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

There are plenty of women who become pregnant with little or no intention of living with the father - the presence of a child means that they receive more handouts from the government. Whilst even this might not be quite as prevalent as the Daily Mail makes out (!), there's a lot of it about.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by Barb_D View Post
    I was struggling to understand how male unemployment created a single-parent family.

Your analysis omits the women who are ready to be parents but who do not not have a life partner, so they become pregnant and single by choice. While technically an "out of wedlock" birth, it does not have to imply the male partner left when he learned of the pregnancy.
    The welfare state is more generous to the unwed mother than it is to a married couple with an unemployed male. If you have a lot of unemployed men (for whatever reason), they aren't likely to marry their paramours.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

And again, what about the financially independent woman who simply chooses to have a chlid, with no intention of seeking government welfare? There are single women able to provide for themselves and their children. Really.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by Barb_D View Post
    And again, what about the financially independent woman who simply chooses to have a chlid, with no intention of seeking government welfare? There are single women able to provide for themselves and their children. Really.
    I don't doubt that these exist.

But, the original post does say "generally." And, as you noted, these independent single women are a subset of "out-of-wedlock" births. They may choose it that way, but it is still "out-of-wedlock."

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Quote Originally Posted by SoothingDave View Post
    But, the original post does say "generally." And, as you noted, these independent single women are a subset of "out-of-wedlock" births. They may choose it that way, but it is still "out-of-wedlock."
    True, but to me 'out of wedlock' has a very old-fashioned ring to it. I'm surprised I did not comment on this before. Perhaps it was because I can't think of a better term for 'out-of-wedlock birth' in the original post.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

I haven't heard the term "out of wedlock" used seriously (except perhaps in a TV show or film set many decades ago) for a very long time. Once upon a time, it was seen as a terrible slur on a woman's character to have a baby, or even to fall pregnant, before marriage. Now, it's irrelevant.

Sorry, Barb, yes there are plenty of single women who have a child and are more than able (financially) to bring it up.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast