Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I wrote a message to my landlord. Could you help me check it to make it natural? Thank you.
March 7, 2013

Dear Mrs. XXX,

I am writing to bring you attention to the problem that the telephone in your apartment did not work when I intended to use it after I moved into the house. I hope you can repair it as soon as possible. I am free tomorrow. Please inform me of your repairing in advance.

Yours sincerely,

Jane

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I wrote a message to my landlord. Could you help me check it to make it natural? Thank you.
March 7, 2013

Dear Mrs. XXX,

I am writing to bring your attention to the [STRIKE]problem[/STRIKE] fact that the telephone in [STRIKE]your[/STRIKE] my apartment [STRIKE]did[/STRIKE] does not work. [STRIKE]when I intended to use it after I moved into the house.[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]I hope you can[/STRIKE] Please repair it as soon as possible. Please let me know when you will be coming to repair it. If it is any help, I am free tomorrow. [STRIKE]Please inform me of your repairing in advance[/STRIKE].
​I look forward to hearing from you.

Yours [STRIKE]sincerely,[/STRIKE]

Jane

You have addressed the letter to Mrs XXXX - some people will say that means you are writing to your "landlady". However, "landlord" is a perfectly acceptable all-encompassing term for someone who owns a property and rents it to someone else.

Refer to the apartment as "my apartment" - even though Mrs XXX is the owner, you are the one living there and using all the facilities.

I'm not sure what you meant by "when I intended to use it after I moved into the house". It is clear that you would expect a telephone in your apartment to actually work.

"Yours sincerely" is overly formal. Given the brevity of the letter, I think "Yours" is sufficient.

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

"Yours sincerely" is overly formal (and given that the greeting is "Dear Mrs XXX", "yours faithfully" would be the appropriate ending.
I don't agree. If we are using formal salutations and closures, then it's 'Dear Sir/Madam ..... Yours faithfully' or 'Dear Mr/Ms/Mrs/Miss/Dr Postule / Dear Pate ..... Yours sincerely' in British English.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I don't agree. If we are using formal salutations and closures, then it's 'Dear Sir/Madam ..... Yours faithfully' or 'Dear Mr/Ms/Mrs/Miss/Dr Postule / Dear Pate ..... Yours sincerely' in British English.

I have no idea where my brain went on that post. I'm well aware of the rule and frequently remind people that "Sir/Madam" goes with "Yours faithfully" and "Mr/Mrs XXX" goes with "Yours sincerely".

ziawj2

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
My student wrote:
Because I have to tell my friends that I’m safety arriving.I hope that you can fix the telephone for me.

I don't think the word 'Because' is needed, and I think the sentence is not natural, so I made some changes. What do you think of the changes?

I want to tell my friends I settled down safely, so I hope you can have it fixed for me.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
My student wrote:
Because I have to tell my friends that I’m safety arriving.I hope that you can fix the telephone for me.

I don't think the word 'Because' is needed, and I think the sentence is not natural, so I made some changes. What do you think of the changes?

I want to tell my friends I settled down safely, so I hope you can have it fixed for me.

I want to let my friends know that I have settled in OK, so I hope you can get the phone fixed as soon as possible.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I'd butter her up a bit.

I want to let my friends know that I have settled in OK and have a very obliging landlady, so I hope you can get the phone fixed as soon as possible.

ziawj2

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I'd butter her up a bit.

I want to let my friends know that I have settled in OK and have a very obliging landlady, so I hope you can get the phone fixed as soon as possible.
:)

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I have no idea where my brain went on that post. I'm well aware of the rule and frequently remind people that "Sir/Madam" goes with "Yours faithfully" and "Mr/Mrs XXX" goes with "Yours sincerely".

I don't think that sort of rule matters a whit these days, in any case. ;)

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Status
Not open for further replies.