Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Dear Gentlemen,

I am a new member in this forum. In fact, I am Arabian guy. Usually, I ask how to use vocabulary correctly regarding for its use, slang, formal, spoken, or any other recognition of use. Please, just guide me to for suitable forum in order not to bother you. I have asked about the differences between some words, yet I have got no answer. I esteem your tolerance and understanding for my case, but you mentioned that I should consult dictionaries. I swear, I looked on dictionaries, but still there is very close meaning among them. I solely needed tell me one word for each one. Like, this vocabulary "CHEAT​" is always used for relationship. "DECEIVE" is used when someone breaks a promise, and so on. The dictionary do not use this kind of explanation, never.

All in all, that what I wanted to tell you.

Sincerely,

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Dear Gentlemen,

I am a new member in this forum. In fact, I am Arabian guy. Usually, I ask how to use vocabulary correctly regarding for its use, slang, formal, spoken, or any other recognition of use. Please, just guide me to for suitable forum in order not to bother you. I have asked about the differences between some words, yet I have got no answer. I esteem your tolerance and understanding for my case, but you mentioned that I should consult dictionaries. I swear, I looked on dictionaries, but still there is very close meaning among them. I solely needed tell me one word for each one. Like, this vocabulary "CHEAT​" is always used for relationship. "DECEIVE" is used when someone breaks a promise, and so on. The dictionary do not use this kind of explanation, never.

Sincerely,

"cheat" is not "always used for relationships" and "deceive" has uses other than breaking promises.

Last edited by a moderator:

Odessa Dawn

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
***NOT A TEACHER***
Dear Gentlemen,

Sincerely,
Arab not Arabian.
Example:
I am an Arab.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Dear Gentlemen,

Sincerely,

I'm afraid you will be disappointed if you expect us to give just one single definition or usage for words which you post. I can think of at least three different ways of using the word "cheat".

As far as your assertion that dictionaries do not give the kind of explanation that you cited, I'm not sure which dictionaries you are using but here is a perfect example from the Oxford Dictionaries website: Definition of cheat in Oxford Dictionaries (British & World English). You will see quite clearly that it gives a definition of the word "cheat" as "to be sexually unfaithful i.e. his wife was cheating on him".

Sometimes, English words which have very similar meanings are interchangeable, sometimes they're not. Unfortunately, you just have to learn their usage as your English knowledge progresses.

Please also note that it is inappropriate to start your posts with "Dear Gentlemen". Not only is "Dear [anything]" overly formal, but many of us are female.

Last edited:

engloshy

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Mr. Dawn,

Arabian is an adjective stands for indicate the nation that a person was born in or their descent from an Arabian country. So, Arab is a noun. It doesn't show or describe for which country I belong. Sometimes "Arab" could be an adjective when two nouns come together like "Arab nations" but "Arabian students" tells us who they are (the students).

Have a blessed day.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In BrE, neither "Arab" nor "Arabian" tell us which country you are from. According to your profile, you are from Iraq, so if you wanted to let us know which country you were from, you would say "I am an Iraqi guy".

Mr_Ben

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Switzerland
Dear Gentlemen,

Sincerely,

Have you tried using a corpus alongside your dictionary? They're very useful for understanding fine distinctions like these. A corpus is a "body" of text which has been classified so you can search through it and find connections and common uses.

Go to JustTheWord, enter the word you want to study and hit enter or click "combinations". The dictionary tells you what the word means, but a corpus will let you see how people use the word. If you look at the results for "cheat," first you'll notice that there are more results for "a cheat" and "cheat on" than the others. If you click on those words, you will see those expressions used in real, natural English sentences. They are very short examples, but you should be able to work out the meaning in context for some of them by using your dictionary and your intuition. This way you can see how words are actually used, as opposed to just what they mean.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia

Odessa Dawn

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
Mr. Dawn,

Arabian is an adjective stands for indicate the nation that a person was born in or their descent from an Arabian country. So, Arab is a noun. It doesn't show or describe for which country I belong. Sometimes "Arab" could be an adjective when two nouns come together like "Arab nations" but "Arabian students" tells us who they are (the students).

Have a blessed day.
Thank you dear brother from cherished Mesopotamia for your comment and being here among great UE members. An English teacher, at Umm Al-Qura University by the name of Dr. Hasan Ghazala, has told me not to say "I am Arabian." Besides, the below quotation might help you.
Arab is now generally used in reference to people; the use of Arabian in this sense is historical
differences - "Arab" or "Arabic" or "Arabian"? - English Language and Usage

engloshy

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Thank you so much guys for your cooperation.

Sir/Madam Emsr2d2,

I used gentlemen because I am talking (contact) with a group of people and I don't know their gender in general.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thank you so much guys for your cooperation.

[STRIKE]Sir/Madam[/STRIKE] Emsr2d2,

I used gentlemen because I am talking (contact) with a group of people and I don't know their gender in general.

As I said, there is no need for any salutation of any kind. If you want to include one, you can say "Hello everyone" - that is as formal as you need to be! By the same token, you do not need to put "Sir/Madam + username" - just put the username.

For your info, referring to a gender-unknown group of people as "Gentlemen" doesn't work because it specifically excludes the women. If you wanted to include everyone, you would say "Dear Ladies and Gentlemen".

Status
Not open for further replies.