• Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Egypt
      • Current Location:
      • Egypt

Smile Get away from.

HELLO EVERYONE,

First, "GET AWAY" means: to go somewhere to have a holiday. Well, What does this sentence mean? Particularly, why did the writer use "FROM" here?

We've decided to go to Scotland to get away from it all. (Copied from Cambridge Dictionary on the internet)
    I wish I had better English, but I work hard to improve it. I'm studying for IGCSE, so I'm only interested in BrE.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: Get away from.

Quote Originally Posted by saloom2 View Post
    HELLO EVERYONE,

First, "GET AWAY" means: to go somewhere to have a holiday. Well, What does this sentence mean? Particularly, why did the writer use "FROM" here?

We've decided to go to Scotland to get away from it all. (Copied from Cambridge Dictionary on the internet)
    get away from = escape, leave behind
    get away from it all = escape from/leave behind everyday routine and problems

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: Get away from.

Quote Originally Posted by saloom2 View Post
    HELLO EVERYONE,

Expand the meaning of "get away" a bit. I, for example, can get away from the telephone calls at work by leaving the office and going to a restaurant for lunch. The "it all" in your sentence refers to the activities which happen at home. By leaving home and going to Scotland, the person will not have to face these activities (work, stress, telephone calls, bothersome neighbors, etc.). "from" is used to express the concept of separation - It is 15 miles from Denver to Northglen.