rajan

Member Type
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I am confused by the difference between Idea and concept.

My understanding says:

Idea is an instant thought on a particular problem to solve it while concept is an idea which comes out with thorough planning to get the desired result. Concept may be a strategy.

If I am wrong, please guide me.

Thanks & regards

Rajan

riquecohen

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Brazil
Have you looked up these words in a dictionary? OneLook Dictionary Search is an excellent resource.

rajan

Member Type
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Yes, I had. Being a member of this forum, I also know some of its rule.

Have you looked up these words in a dictionary? OneLook Dictionary Search is an excellent resource.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Idea and concept are synonyms, as shown by the fact that many dictionaries give one as a definition of the other. What you are talking about are connotations, and connotations can be extremely numerous, variable and subtle.

For example, as you said Idea can mean an instant thought on a particular problem, in that case a synonym for insight or inspiration. But an idea or set of ideas can also be the foundation of an entire philosophy.

We could talk ourselves hoarse listing possible connotations of concept and idea without coming close to exhausting them.

If you want to make a detailed study of your question, you can consult the corpus of AmE or of BrE, or both. Incidentally, the corpus of AmE gives five occurrences of the phrase conceptual idea, so you will have fun.

rajan

Member Type
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Dear Teacher,

Thanks for your response. You must be talking something which makes sense as 5jj and Raymott liked your answer. But I am really sorry to say that what you wrote has crossed over my head and could not understand what you are trying to say.:oops: This is not because of you but because of my poor English and the tragedy is that you have to deal with every type of member here.

Regards

Rajan

Idea and concept are synonyms, as shown by the fact that many dictionaries give one as a definition of the other. What you are talking about are connotations, and connotations can be extremely numerous, variable and subtle.

For example, as you said Idea can mean an instant thought on a particular problem, in that case a synonym for insight or inspiration. But an idea or set of ideas can also be the foundation of an entire philosophy.

We could talk ourselves hoarse listing possible connotations of concept and idea without coming close to exhausting them.

If you want to make a detailed study of your question, you can consult the corpus of AmE or of BrE, or both. Incidentally, the corpus of AmE gives five occurrences of the phrase conceptual idea, so you will have fun.

Last edited:

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Simply put, ideas, in philosophy, can be very small or simple representations. For example, there is a petal on the table I'm sitting at, which has fallen from a drying flower. Looking at it, I imagine the petal in my mind. That is an intuitive idea, the simplest. The idea of that petal, without baggage or complexity.

A concept is something more developed, which is built in the mind, and which isn't just based on a single external fact. The concept of collective bargaining rights, for example, in which workers have the right to band together into unions and negotiate the terms and conditions of their employment with an employer, both sides being bound by rules. This is more developed and more complex than an idea.

Further examples of ideas: roundness, squareness, largeness, smallness, sphericality....

Further examples of concepts: momentum, velocity, democracy, sportsmanship...

Status
Not open for further replies.