Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
no-no

noun [C usually singular]

/ˈnəʊ.nəʊ/
8ZtlfFXbzD+D93HuIlZkn0hZ12v+eYXBNtYtYmnP3Fr5HGTXyBdPmtddzs+X8AF3fNVc3ugckAAAAASUVORK5CYII=
/ˈnoʊ.noʊ/ informal

Definition

› something that is thought to be unsuitable or unacceptable: Total nudity is still a definite no-no on most of Europe's beaches.
no-no noun - definition in British English Dictionary & Thesaurus - Cambridge Dictionary Online

no-no (n
omacr.gif
prime.gif
n
omacr.gif
lprime.gif
)n. pl. no-noes Informal 1. Something unacceptable or impermissible: "Even though his company wasn't the one involved in the case, what he did is considered a definite no-no" (Mike Royko).
2. A social blunder; a faux pas.
no-nos - definition of no-nos by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

I found that the plural form of no-no is no-noes. Question: Why the second no takes the plural form not the first one? Also, I thought it should be nos-nos. Do we have other words that follow the same pattern? What is the rule behind that?

riquecohen

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Brazil
I doubt that there is a rule for making this very informal expression plural. Some dictionaries, other than those you've cited, show the plural to be no-nos or no-no's. See, for example, Merriam-Webster's Online Dictionary and Dictionary.com.

Odessa Dawn

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
I doubt that there is a rule for making this very informal expression plural. Some dictionaries, other than those you've cited, show the plural to be no-nos or no-no's. See, for example, Merriam-Webster's Online Dictionary and Dictionary.com.

no–no

noun \ˈnō-ˌnō\
plural no–no's or no–nos

Definition of NO-NO

: something unacceptable or forbidden

No-no - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

no–no /ˈnoʊˌnoʊ/ noun
plural no–no's or no–nos
[count] informal 1 : something that people are not supposed to do because it is not proper, safe, fashionable, etc.
▪ Forgetting to introduce your guests to one another is a big no-no when hosting a party. ▪ Sharing prescription medication with other people is a definite no-no. ▪ fashion no-no's

Merriam-Webster's Learner's Dictionary

no-no

[noh-noh] Show IPA
noun, plural no-nos, no-no's. Informal. anything that is forbidden or not advisable, as because of being improper or unsafe: If you want to lose weight, rich desserts are a no-no.
No-no | Define No-no at Dictionary.com

Thank you, Henry, so much. I followed your instruction and checked some dictionaries. My question is: Do we have a rule in English that we always pluralize the second part of compound word such as no-no not the first part?

cereal_chick

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I found that the plural form of no-no is no-noes. Question: Why does the second no takes the plural form not the first one? Also, I thought it should be nos-nos. Do we have other words that follow the same pattern? What is the rule behind that?

Compound words in English are formed of a descriptive element plus a naming element (in that order), for example birdsong. The naming element is "song" and the description is "bird", which gives a meaning of "song of a bird", which is distinct from songbird, which means "bird that makes song". When compounds are pluralised, the naming element is pluralised, e.g. "police station" > "police stations". In French loanwords, such as "Governor-General" or "court martial", the first word is the naming element, so the pluralisations would be "Governors-General" & "courts-martial".

This aside, "no-no" is a colloquial reduplication, and so the spelling will vary (I hold that the correct way to spell it is "no-no's") but in English it will be seen as a compound and so will follow the rules for compounds when making it plural, i.e. the second element receives the plural.

[Not a teacher]

Status
Not open for further replies.