[Essay] Another word than provide in this sentence. Zoos provide an exotic opportunity..

Status
Not open for further replies.

saloom2

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Hello everyone,

I guess provide is a bit week word, and unfortunately I use it a lot in my writings as well as promote and encourage. So would you change it in that sentence or give me alternatives?

Zoos provide an exotic opportunity to peer into the wild without have to travel to distant locations.

Tourism may contribute to a rise in volunteerism promoting a civic virtues among the population.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
www.thesaurus.com - this is a fine resource.

I don't see that any of those words are "weak," however.

saloom2

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Thanks a lot. But would you do me a favour? Actually, I have been using thesaurus for about 8 months and I found that almost all the alternatives do not have the same meaning. So would you tell me how to use more competently. It will help me a lot!!

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Thanks a lot. But would you do me a favour? Actually, I have been using thesaurus for about 8 months and I found that almost all the alternatives do not have the same meaning. So would you tell me how to use more competently. It will help me a lot!!
Go to site such as this and see how people have actually used a word. Then try your alternatives, and see how they are used. You will, slowly, pick up a sense of how words are used.

Status
Not open for further replies.