Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Need help! I have purchased the Claws tagging program but can't seem to get out of the gate with it. Anyone out there use this? I can't even get it to open!

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
If it's for Windows, the site says it was tested for XP, so might it be a compatability issue with a more modern OS?

lvilleky

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If it's for Windows, the site says it was tested for XP, so might it be a compatability issue with a more modern OS?

I don't think that's it. Would have to do w/ Java? Readme file says, "download and install the J2SE Runtime Environment (JRE 5.0) for Java 2 Platform Standard Edition 5.0." Have I mistakenly assumed my laptop has commonly-needed Java "stuff?" Is this some special form of Java I need to find somehow? Can't find it on Java website.

But it's supposed to run through command prompt too, but I have never used C: prompt before.

lvilleky

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think it's an old version of Java....Java's up to version 7-something now, isn't it. Download Free Java Software

I figured it might be and older version. Do you think this means I need to download the older one? Seems strange a newer version would be unable to open and run this program. I currently have version 7, update 17. I couldn't open the program on an updated desktop computer either.

Whenever I try to click on the icon to open this program, I get a very brief windows command prompt window that spits out some text and then disappears quickly. I did a screen shot to be able to see just what text was coming up during this process. Here's some of it:

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: [it then lists my folder locations...]
EstClaws.dll can't load IA 32-bit .ddl on a AMD 64-bit platform.

I'm beginning to think this program hasn't been updated anytime recently, and so a 64-bit platform (which I presume is most computers today) won't run this 32-bit program. If this is the case, I feel a bit like a sucker.

I've tried approaching the seller, but feedback is pretty limited. I'm not given suggestions for resolving the Java issue, but told to try opening the program through the Windows command prompt, and using the program through the command prompt instead of through the GUI interface. I have absolutely no experience working with a command prompt. My Commodore 64 days are long behind me! I cannot get past just opening the folder where the program can be found.

Feel a bit frustrated also that I even have to try using the command prompt, as the java GUI interface should be working!

PS: I really appreciate your quick replies and the time you're taking to help me out!

lvilleky

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think it's an old version of Java- try this one...Java's up to version 7-something now, isn't it. Download Free Java Software

Thanks for this link.

I just checked my version of Java. It says I do already have version 7, like you said. Surely my more recent version could handle operating an older program, right? Maybe not!

When I click on the program icon, I get a very brief Windows command prompt window. It spits out some lines and then closes itself down. I did a screen shot to be able to freeze and look at this command prompt window. Here’s some of what it says:

Exception in thread “main” java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: [the location of the file…]: Can’t load IA 32-bit .dll on a AMD 64-bit platform.

Does this mean my computer is too advanced? That just doesn’t seem right.

All the seller says when I contact them is that if the Java GUI interface doesn’t work I can open and use the program through the command prompt. I have absolutely no command prompt language experience, so I cannot even locate and open any programs that way.

But I shouldn’t have to, as there is a Windows GUI interface that is supposed to work for me. Have I been sold an outdated program that will be difficult to run on any computer made within the last five years? If so, does anyone know of a text POS tagger that does work?

lvilleky

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think it's an old version of Java...Java's up to version 7-something now, isn't it. Download Free Java Software

I just checked my version of Java. It says I do have version 7, like you said. Surely my more recent version could handle operating an older program, right? Maybe not!

When I click on the program icon, I get a very brief Windows command prompt window. It spits out some lines and then closes itself down. I did a screen shot to be able to freeze and look at this command prompt window. Here’s some of what it says:

Exception in thread “main” java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: [the location of the file…]: Can’t load IA 32-bit .dll on a AMD 64-bit platform.

Does this mean my computer is too advanced? That just doesn’t seem right.

All the seller says when I contact them is that if the GUI interface doesn’t work I can open and use the program through the command prompt. I have absolutely no command prompt language experience, so I cannot even locate and open any programs.

But I shouldn’t have to, as there is a Windows GUI interface that is supposed to work for me. Have I been sold an outdated program that will be difficult to run on any computer made within the last five years? If so, does anyone know of a text POS tagger that does work?

Status
Not open for further replies.