Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
I heard this from an American trainer in psychology. I didn't know the meaning of the word. But when she explained it to us (me and the trainees at the seminar), I was puzzled:-?, because we don't have such a concept in my language. I read the definition of this word in dictionaries, still it's not completely clear to me and I can't imagine myself using this word (though I'd like to, since this word is used by native speakers).
Heres the link to the definition of "vicarious".
Merriam-Webster's Learner's Dictionary

Could you please give me some examples of use of this word? In what context would you personally use it?

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I can't imagine a situation where you would say "I'm vicarious."

One can live vicariously through another, like the dad who relives his past glory through his son's sports achievement. Or the "stage mother" who seeks fame through a child actor.

englishhobby

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Is it close to "vanity" or "pride" then (in some cases)? In your examples "to live vicariously" can be substituted by "to feel proud of", can't it?

Last edited:

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes, it is close to vanity in some cases. But one can be vain without acting vicariously.

Vicarious | Define Vicarious at Dictionary.com

See definition 3. felt or enjoyed through imagined participation in the experience of others

Last edited:

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
It's not possible to be vicarious. As SoothingDave said, we can live vicariously.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
When I moved to Spain, I decided to write a blog about my adventures there. Many of my friends said that they were living vicariously through me when they read my blog. They were not in a position to move to a foreign country and have an adventure of their own but, by reading about my life there, they almost felt they were living it themselves and it made them happy. They were taking pleasure in my adventures, sometimes almost putting themselves in my shoes and reading the blog as if they were living there themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.