UK
Current Location
UK
I want to say ( kind of a complaint) the following but I don't understand
how to structure it and I always get confused in saying this kind
sentence.
"He never wanted I get a good job"
"They never wanted I marry a beautiful girl"
"She always wished I will remain financially unstable for ever so she can control me"

I always get confused in the second part of the sentences;
... I get a.. ( should I say "I got a...")
... I marry a.. ( should I say "I married a...")
... I will remain... ( should I say "I would remain...")

What I should use here?

Also please tell me which part of grammar I need to study to use this kind of sentence correctly.

Mr_Ben

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Switzerland
You have two different verbs here so let's look at them separately.

The verb "want" has a very consistent pattern. It can be followed by a noun phrase or a verb phrase (with the verb in the infinitive). So you can make sentences like, "I want a coffee." "I want to visit Australia." When we use the infinitive verb phrase, either we want to do these things ourselves or we want someone else to do them. When we want someone else to do something, we put the object after "want" and before the infinitive. I've done it twice in the last two sentences.

So here are the possible patterns for the verb "want":

• I want [noun phrase]. [a new car, some bread, those shoes in the window, etc.]
  • I want [infinitive verb phrase]. [to get rich, to go to NYC, to have a big family, etc.]
  • I want [object] [infinitive verb phrase]. [you, him, her, my brother, the waiter, etc.] [to help me, to bring me a sandwich, etc.]

These are the only patterns possible with "want," it's not possible to say "I want going" or "he wants I be." All verbs have patterns of structures which follow them (you might notice "help" and "bring" in my last example: they have their own patterns too). I don't have a great resource for students to study these patterns, but I do have a rather technical resource for teachers: here is the section on this pattern of "want", here is the table of contents.

In the case of wish, please see this excellent guide to the different patterns (and their different meanings) here: Using 'Wish' in English - Articles - UsingEnglish.com

vectrum

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thank you very much.
What I say the second part of the following statement that I narrate the wishes of someone;
He never wanted [ I married a good girl]. Should I say "I would marry a .. " or "I married a good girl".
I get confused while saying the second clause of this kind of sentence.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Thank you very much.
What I say the second part of the following statement that I narrate the wishes of someone;
He never wanted [ I married a good girl]. Should I say "I would marry a .. " or "I married a good girl".
I get confused while saying the second clause of this kind of sentence.

You could say, "He never wanted that I should marry a good girl", "He never wanted me to marry a good girl", "He had never wanted me to marry a good girl".

vectrum

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thank you bhaisahab

Yes, this is it. "He never wanted [that I should marry a good girl] -- this kind of construct I can't use/make.
Could you please tell me why "should" is used here? Which part of grammar I need to study to understand
this kind of usage.

Thank you very very much.

Status
Not open for further replies.