how to improve listening of spelling words?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mocciarina

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Hi everyone!
I find a bit difficult to catch all the letters by listening to a native speaker spelling words letter by letter fast (for example, people names, street names, etc.). I'm currently studying for the IELTS test, so this is a weak point in my listening I wish to improve. Could you suggest me some tips to improve my listening or some resources where to work about it?

In general, my listening is decent, it's that kind of speaking letter by letter that I find complicated to understand sometimes.

Mr_Ben

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Switzerland
This is a very good thing to study, I'm sure you've noticed that there's almost always a question like this in part one of the listening test. In general, try to predict how the name will be spelled (I know that English names are crazy though) when you hear it.

Here's a page that has 10 names you have to spell. She does speak quickly and they are difficult names! IELTS Practice Listening Exercise 12

There is free practice test on the British Council website for more practice: IELTS Free Practice tests to develop your exam technique

Good luck on your exam!

mocciarina

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
many thanks for the links Mr Ben, the first one is the kind of exercises I was looking for! ;)

bubblefish

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
thank you for your resources, it's my weak point too :-D

Mr_Ben

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Switzerland
Here is another site to help you practice listening: Listen and Write - Dictation

They take videos and audio from many sources (film trailers, news, songs, etc.) and you use them for dictations. From the link above, choose level 10 and try a dictation, then you can make it harder or easier so it's right for you.

nielskokholmnielsen

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Danish
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Denmark
Improving your English

Dear Friend,

There are a great many ways you can improve your English, including your skills, pronunciation, range of vocabulary and grammar.
In this article here is an overview of some of the most important factors for improving your English

Learning English as a foreign language | 5 powerful ideas | KYES - Keep Your English Sharp

I hope the tips help. There are also some free lessons you can watch on the page above. And remember, enjoy your studies, always!!

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Hi everyone!
I find a bit difficult to catch all the letters by listening to a native speaker spelling words letter by letter fast (for example, people names, street names, etc.). I'm currently studying for the IELTS test, so this is a weak point in my listening I wish to improve. Could you suggest me some tips to improve my listening or some resources where to work about it?

In general, my listening is decent, it's that kind of speaking letter by letter that I find complicated to understand sometimes.

I've encountered a similar problem once, at that time I had no choice but to focus more on listening because I am really interested in learning the correct way of spelling that word...

Status
Not open for further replies.