Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
"By the time you've hit your late twenties you've dated a few people. It's common courtesy to pretend that you haven't."

I can't figure out why two present perfects have been used in the first sentence. Would it mean action in the future?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
No.

When you have reached an advanced age, as I have, you have read lots of questions like that.

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Doesn't "When you've reached ..." mean " after you've reached.." here? If it's about a moment in the past, why wasn't it put like this "By the time you hit your late twenties you had dated a few people."?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Doesn't "When you've reached ..." mean " after you've reached.." here? If it's about a moment in the past, why wasn't it put like this "By the time you hit your late twenties you had dated a few people."?
It's not about a moment in the past. It's a general observation. 'You' here is 'people in general'.

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
I'm confused. Does it refer to the present, the past or the future? If it's a general observation, why isn't it just "By the time you hit your late twenties you've dated a few people."?

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
If it's a general observation, why isn't it just "By the time you hit your late twenties you've dated a few people."?
That's also possible.

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
I'm confused once again. What would be the difference between the following two than?:cry:

1) By the time you hit your late twenties you've dated a few people.

OR

2) By the time you hit your late twenties you will have dated a few people.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I'm confused once again. What would be the difference between the following two than?:cry:

1) By the time you hit your late twenties you've dated a few people.

OR

2) By the time you hit your late twenties you will have dated a few people.
The same difference as there normally is between utterances with 'will' for certainty and those without.

One of the things that appears to cause you confusion is that you often introduce completely separate issues.

Which one is really puzzling you??

1a. By the time you hit your late twenties, you have dated quite a few people. (general time, fact
1b. By the time you hit your late twenties, you will have dated ... . (general time, certainty)

2a. By the time you hit (present simple) your late twenties, ... .
2b. By the time you've hit (present perfect) your late twenties, ...

3a. By the time you hit (present simple) your late twenties, you will have dated quite a few people. (future time)
3b. By the time you hit (past simple) your late twenties, you had dated quite a few people. (past time)

Before you ask how we tell the tense of the verb in 3a and 3b, or the time of utterances 1b and 3a, the answer is 'context'.

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
"The fog is clearing up!" I mix up 1a with 3a.

So If I were showing the ropes to the rookie on the job and he asked me when he would get a pay raise, could I say "By the time you get a pay raise, you've been working here several moths." to mean a general observation?

Status
Not open for further replies.