Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
To me "explanation why" seems like an abbreviated version of "explanation as to why", but I would like to know if either is more correct, or both are incorrect in the strictest sense.

Grumpy

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Explanation why" is correct, and almost universally used. "Explanation as to why" is also correct, but is used less commonly, and sounds rather contrived. Neither is more correct than the other.

Oliver55

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Thanks for the reply. English is my native language, but I wanted to be 100% sure on this. A lot of English today is colloquial and in my opinion would not be correct in the strictest sense written. We have "explain why", when you change to "explanation" but don't add to/change "why" it seems a bit short. Conversely when you write "explanation as to why" it might sound contrived, but I don't know if it comes from older English (in which case it only seems uppety to us in this age) or is a modern overfiddling with words. I know we can get away with both, but I wanted the official verdict. Do you have any explanation? I was hoping for a textbook answer, so I selected ask a teacher, that might not be necessary, but I would like more on this.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Thanks for the reply. English is my native language, but I wanted to be 100% sure on this. A lot of English today is colloquial and in my opinion would not be correct in the strictest sense written. We have "explain why", when you change to "explanation" but don't add to/change "why" it seems a bit short. Conversely when you write "explanation as to why" it might sound contrived, but I don't know if it comes from older English (in which case it only seems uppety to us in this age) or is a modern overfiddling with words. I know we can get away with both, but I wanted the official verdict. Do you have any explanation? I was hoping for a textbook answer, so I selected ask a teacher, that might not be necessary, but I would like more on this.
I would say "explanation of why", and not those other two. "As to why" sounds like something someone would say if they felt not enough words were there, but they couldn't think of the appropriate ones.

A: What's your explanation?
B: My explanation of what?
A: Your explanation of why you ...

Status
Not open for further replies.