Student or Learner
Native Language
Marathi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Hello Friends,
Myself Vishal and I am new to this forum. By profession I am a Metallurgical Engineer.
As a part of my job, I have to frequently come across many standard Institutions, societies etc.
Recently, our company Bharat Forge get a DNV approval. When I searched on the net about the term
DNV it is "Det Norske Veritas".
Now my question is that what is the exact translation of this sentense "Det Norske Veritas" in
English. I am particularly interested in the English translation of the term "Veritas". Since I got the
meaning of remaining two words on net.
Can anybody please explain?

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Based on a limited knowledge of Danish, I'll have a go. Danish, Swedish and Norwegian are similar in written form, although they are very different from one another in pronunciation.

Det Norske Veritas is the name of a corporation, and therefore need not mean anything at all. But it can be interpreted as The Norwegian Truth.

Det is the definite article and Norske means Norwegian. Det Norske means The Norwegian. Veritas, on the other hand, is Latin for truth. The Scandianavian languages have their own words for truth, so veritas must remain Latin, but is a very well-known word as Latin words go ;-).

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Marathi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Hello Probus,
First of all thank you very very much for your valuable reply. I get your point clear however when we translate the sentence
"Det Norske Veritas" literally in English it comes out to be "The Norwegian Truth". However this translation doesn't make any sense at all. As per my perspective since the DNV i.e. Det Norske Veritas is an Standard organisation, the word "Veritas" may have some peculiar meaning associated with it. However I might be wrong.
If you or anybody please elaborate this if have some additional information about it.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Don't translate it. They are deliberately using Latin here.

They are using "veritas" because they are a standards and testing organization. You are supposed to trust them to know what is "true" and what is not.

Status
Not open for further replies.