Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Hello everybody!

Does "cut something off something else" mean the same as "cut something away from something else".

For instance, there is a pipe protruding over the surface and the building supervisor orders the pipe to be cut off the surface or he orders it to be cut away from the surface.

In my opinion, these two phrases mean the same, but I would like to know what you think about it.

Thank you.

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello everybody!

Does "cut something off something else" mean the same as "cut something away from something else".

For instance, there is a pipe protruding over the surface and the building supervisor orders the pipe to be cut off the surface or he orders it to be cut away from the surface.

In my opinion, these two phrases mean the same, but I would like to know what you think about it.

Thank you.

In the example/context you used, I would go with "off" not "away", but use of "away" would be understood.

JACEK1

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Some time ago I heard from a native speaker of English that it is wrong to use "cut off from" when this phrase means "remove something from something else". As I see, there are many opinions. Does "cut something away from something else" exist at all?

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Yes, it exists. In the days of sail, for instance, ships occasionally suffered catastrophes such as being dismasted. In stormy seas it was extremely dangerous to have the mast and various spars entangled with rigging attached to the ship. In order for the damaged ship to have any hope of survival it was necessary that this mess be cut away. Used in this sense, cut away means to separate one thing from another.

JACEK1

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Is it right to use "cut something away from something else" in everyday (English) conversation to mean "separate one thing from another"?

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
It tends to be used concretely rather than figuratively. If you go here

Corpus of Contemporary American English (COCA)

and type in "cut away" then click on the number that appears, you will find numerous examples of its current usage.

JACEK1

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
What does "concretely mean? Does "cut something off something else" have anything to do "cut something away from something else" in literal meaning?

Last edited:

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I doubt that anybody will be able to give you a short simple answer. Broadly speaking cut off and cut away are synonyms. If you want to get a feeling for the connotative differences, follow my link to the corpus of AmE. If you prefer to learn British English instead you can resort to the [bnc] British National Corpus

Status
Not open for further replies.