[Essay] I'm writing a classification essay and would like help with my thesis statement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kenleybunch

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi! I'm writting a classification essay for my English 1100 college course. My professor wants us to have an intro/thesis, 3 body paragraphs, and a conclusion.

I have decided to compare and contrast 3 super heros - Batman, Spiderman, and Ironman.
I'm having a little trouble with my thesis statement, so far I have this:

What is a Superhero? Is it someone with "super" powers, or someone in a special suit with their identity hidden; Is a Superhero simply someone who helps others? The three most popular Superheros currently in pop culture - Batman, Spiderman, and Ironman- all differ in their stories, personalities, and even abilities, but they all share one important attribute - being a Superhero.

Its definitely not where I want it to be and to be honest I'm not even sure if that would be considered a thesis statement, I was never taught properly in highschool. So, if anyone has any tips or suggestions, that would be great.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Hi kenleybunch, we can't do homework here, sorry. Your professor wants to know what you can do.

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
One problem is that you're confusing fiction with reality. There are no actual superheroes, so you should call them characters in a pop culture genre, the American Comic Strip, or some other imagined realm.

kenleybunch

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi kenleybunch, we can't do homework here, sorry. Your professor wants to know what you can do.

I'm not asking you to write it for me, I've clearly written it in the original post. I was just asking for tips or things that maybe I should change, I thought thats what this site was for.

**not trying to be rude**

kenleybunch

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
One problem is that you're confusing fiction with reality. There are no actual superheroes, so you should call them characters in a pop culture genre, the American Comic Strip, or some other imagined realm.

Thank you!! I never even thought of it that way, but I'm sure my teacher would have :p
I'll make sure to adjust it accordingly.

Status
Not open for further replies.