• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

school trip vs field trip

What is the difference between "school trip" and "field trip"?
    In Korea, high schoolers or middle schoolers usually go on a 3-4 day trip as a school trip to a famous tourist attraction like mountains, islands, etc. and nowadays even abroad. And for "field trip", it's just a one day trip to a museum or any historical site. Do you have the same experience?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Re: school trip vs field trip

In my time in British schools, most excursions or visits of any duration, including the field trip, were school (or class/form) trips.

A field trip was what the geographers did when they went off to the mountains for some practical geography. This was sometimes referred to as the school field trip.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

(Not a Teacher)

In the US, we tend to call any excursion beyond the school grounds a "field trip".

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Quote Originally Posted by SlickVic9000 View Post
    In the US, we tend to call any excursion beyond the school grounds a "field trip".
    Yet another difference between BrE and AmE that I didn't know about.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by 5jj View Post
    In my time in British schools, most excursions or visits of any duration, including the field trip, were school (or class/form) trips.

A field trip was what the geographers did when they went off to the mountains for some practical geography. This was sometimes referred to as the school field trip.
    The first time I heard the term 'field trip' was in the early '60s when my brother took up geology. I think 5jj's 'what geographers did' was meant to stand for 'what - for example - geographers did'. But I think some readers might misunderstand his reply to apply just to geographers. It applies to any field of study - often scientific - that can involve people going out to work 'in the field'. A linguist can do a field trip, living with an aboriginal tribe and studying their language in real life.

But, in my (Br Eng speaking) world, school-children go on 'school trips'. In late teens they may graduate to 'field trips' - but only when they're going somewhere to make first-hand observations (rather than just having a bit of a change).

b

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

When I was at school, like 5jj, "field trips" were undertaken by the geography class and sometimes the biology class and usually involved some kind of outdoor lesson, actually inspecting something in a field!
    A school trip was any trip pupils went on, organised by the school. My school trips included going camping for a week and two skiing trips of a week's duration each.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Just to be sure I understand, a day trip to the local museum is also a school trip, right? It doesn't have to be a week-long trip?
    American school children would be pretty excited if they could expect three different week-long trips. My daughters have taken a few multi-day educational (3 or 4 days) "class trips": One went to Quebec, one to Boston, and trip to New York is planned, but nothing that was supposed to be purely fun, like skiing.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Again, I can only go by what things were called when I was at school, but I would expect a "school trip" to be at least one full long day and probably a reasonable distance away from the school, and possibly at least one night away. Having said that, I guess I would have referred to a morning's visit to a local museum as a "school trip" too.
    My week-long trips were all part of my middle (junior, age 8-12) school education. At secondary (high, age 12-16) school, although there were "foreign exchange trips" available, which lasted around two weeks, I don't think there were any "holidays" (skiing, camping etc).
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by Barb_D View Post
    Just to be sure I understand, a day trip to the local museum is also a school trip, right? It doesn't have to be a week-long trip?
    American school children would be pretty excited if they could expect three different week-long trips. My daughters have taken a few multi-day educational (3 or 4 days) "class trips": One went to Quebec, one to Boston, and trip to New York is planned, but nothing that was supposed to be purely fun, like skiing.
    Lest you think that we Limeys have a cushy life, I should make it clear that Ems' skiing trip was no doubt during the school holidays, maybe overlapping with term-time for a day or two. And you only went if you could afford it. Why, in my day we tied planks o' driftwood to our feet and slid down t'slag heap; and we thought we was princes!

b

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Yes, sadly my ski trips took place during the half-term break in mid-February and the camping trip, if I remember rightly, was during the (cold, wet) Easter holiday. The camping trip was fairly cheap and around 60 children from my year group of 180 attended. The ski trips were admittedly probably out of many parents' reach financially. I was very lucky to be one of the 12 children to go to Italy for a week, in two consecutive years.

They were both, however, referred to as "school trips" - the "school skiing trip" and the "school camping trip".

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast