I don't like being asked the same question many times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

pinkie9

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Let's suppose that someone asks you the same question many times (because he forgets things a lot) and you are irritated.

"I don't like being asked the same question many times."

Q1. Please tell me if this sentence is gramatically correct or not.
Q2. I guess the above sentence is not very polite. Please tell me a more polite way to tell this to him.

Thank you.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
1. Yes.

2. It's polite enough as it is. I'd be a bit ruder and say 'Stop asking me the same question over and over again!'

Of course, if it's an elderly person becoming senile I'd be more patient.

Rover

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Haven't we been through this before?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
You could use the old adage (and complete overstatement) "If I've told you once, I've told you a million times ..."

pinkie9

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
You could use the old adage (and complete overstatement) "If I've told you once, I've told you a million times ..."

Thank you. But is that polite?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It's not impolite, but this is a task that is difficult to do 100% politely. Even if you say I cannot fully agree with you there, the listener will know that you mean they are wrong. If you want to tell someone that you've heard this, and dealt with it, many times before, they're going to know what you think of their memory or stubbornness. You can do it to the least impolite degree possible, but no more.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thank you. But is that polite?

It's not exactly polite, no, and it would be said with a tone of exasperation. As Rover pointed out, if it's an elderly person who may be suffering from age-related amnesia, then of course you wouldn't use it. You wouldn't refer to the continual repetition of questions at all, you would simply answer them over and over again patiently.
However, if there is no reason for the person to keep asking you the same question, I don't see why a bit of exasperation would be a problem. You could go down the route of "I'm sure you asked me that before. OK, let's go through this ONE more time ..." and hope that they get the picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.