Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Can someone explain this sentence to me?
Is it an idiom? Some kind of a saying?
I can't find it in any dictionary.

"A little man volunteered to stay and hold the camp while the others went for supplies. "There is only one of you - let the devil make a twin," they said as they left."

I can only guess that they want some supernatural power to help a little man with guarding the camp.

SlickVic9000

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
(Not a Teacher)

I've never heard this expression and this thread is at the top of the results of a Google search on it. So evidently, this is a very original phrase. Your guess is as good as mine. Honestly, it seems like a rather bizarre statement to part with.
Out of curiosity, where did you find this passage?

angelene001

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
It's from a book preparing to Matura, a Polish high-school exit exam. An exam in English at a basic level (B1) is a part of Matura.

The expression is from a reading task. The text is titled "A Tent in Agony" by Stephen Crane (adapted).
And here is the original text which I've found:
A Tent in Agony by Stephen Crane

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
It's from a book preparing to Matura, a Polish high-school exit exam.
I just cannot understand why anyone would choose a text like that for an examination these days. No modern speaker of BrE or AmE would speak or write in that style.

Last edited by a moderator:

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It sounds to me like a transliterated idiom from another language - que el diablo te haga un gemelo or something like that. Note, this 'Spanish idiom' is my own invention; I've certainly never the idiom met before, in any language. The only idiom I know that involves the devil and pairs (of anything!) is 'The devil makes work for idle hands to do' [='children must be kept busy or they'll get up to mischief'].

b

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.